The Buckeye Thread

Sure thing Walt....I just want them to be ready....no need to put the stress on a bird that isn't....I personally find it a little embarrassing when a judge has to chase birds around the cage that are acting like fools. They are not as big as some that people put in the pens...they are standard weight...I have a little more work to do with there combs (some come a little too big) but solid fowl overall. good bodies, tight feathers, strong foundation with thick shanks, good hips and wide stance, nice head structure and very healthy. I'll send you some pics when I take them :) opinions of people that know these types of fowl are always appreciated.

Last edited:
Good! Butch knows large fowl.

One comment that I appreciated was his views of the 2 pullets that I entered....he told me that those pullets can win anywhere...exceptional specimens. But as we all know the buckeye is a male line.....if a nice male is present....It'll likely win out. This year has been a great one...both males and females are quality in good numbers!!

I like finding out that they are docile personable chickens, but out of all the breeds out there, how did any owners discover how nice these chickens are?
For me, it was my daughter's interests in acquiring birds from the American class for 4-H.....I said NO straight combs! That left us with limited options; I read the history of the breed and was pleased to read that some sort of game was utilized. I've always been a huge fan of games and I knew a couple people where I could get some. Compared to handling games, other than the buckeyes large size, they were very docile fowl.....never feisty or aggressive. Really big puppy dogs......I really like that trait because my daughter was younger at that time and I knew she couldn't handle the "spirit" of a gamecock. Year after year the breed just keeps impressing us on all fronts, it's docile nature, fertility, ease of rearing, health, dual-purpose utility, beauty and excellent exhibition talents in the show arena. The breed has quickly become a steeple on the farm. So to answer your question, we discovered how nice they were through actually raising them.

Quote:
Not believeing you? Isn't that the way it goes, LOL! Problem is most vets are not even up to date on the info and the most valid information on Marek's is by several members right here on BYC. Obsessive might be the word. There are several threads about Marek's that are very active right now, and maybe you could contribute.

I'd like to read that recommendation from the USDA -to not bother with the backyard available vaccine. I have interest in any news from them. Even tho the USDA (in a completely different subject) has been caught illegally seizing imported items and lost the court case, spreads mis-information and lies about something they have no research to back up, and is most likely in being "bought" by the Tobacco Industry which gives them 36 billion dollars a year in revenues. Even worse, deems cigarettes Legal!!!! But please , if this conversation continues it should be on another thread. I am not anti smoker.

The USDA recommending not vaccinating is just an awful thing to hear!
I think members would really love your input on these Marek's threads.
It's very hard to find or to know valid reliable sites. Most are inaccurate or out of date. It would be nice to have a list of recommended sites from someone who knows them. I get close to all of my information from "Diseases of Poultry" , chief editor Y.M. Saif, who puts out a new addition about every 3 years.

Last edited:
Quote:

Once the virus is introduced into a chicken flock, regardless of vaccination status, infection spreads quickly from bird to bird. Infected chickens continue to be carriers for long periods and act as sources of infectious virus. Shedding of infectious virus can be reduced, but not prevented, by prior vaccination. Unlike virulent strains of Marek's disease virus, which are highly contagious, turkey herpesvirus is not readily transmissible among chickens (although it is easily transmitted among turkeys, its natural host). Attenuated Marek's disease virus strains vary greatly in their transmissibility among chickens; the most highly attenuated are not transmitted. Marek's disease virus is not vertically transmitted.

I'm not understanding this-can someone make this easier to understand for me? It sounds like a contradiction to me.

Last edited:
Geez, I wish I knew you could find it online because I paid $165 for it a few years ago. But it seems to round up all the leading researchers and having their input "edited" into over 1,000 pages. I can't lift this book with one hand.

Geez, I wish I knew you could find it online because I paid $165 for it a few years ago. But it seems to round up all the leading researchers and having their input "edited" into over 1,000 pages. I can't lift this book with one hand.

You can't find the entire thing online, just certain excerpts and you can't copy it from that site, only read, if I remember right. It's worth having. I wish I could find one at www.abebooks.com . I've looked from time to time.

Well, lookie here, one for $75, the 11th edition.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...=tn=Diseases+of+Poultry&an=Saif&sts=t

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom