The Buckeye Thread

I hear from reading a lot .. that buckeyes get a disease later and die from is this true ...what is good and bad about them in ur opinon please do tell me

I've read most of this thread and just about everything else I can find in print and have never seen that subject mentioned.

Unless the bird meets it's end by the hatchet or some other misfortune and it lives a reasonably long life,

Like humans, it will succumb to death, likely helped along by any number of diseases.

Turk

I hear from reading a lot .. that buckeyes get a disease later and die from is this true ...what is good and bad about them in ur opinon please do tell me

Buckeyes are one of the healthiest breeds of poultry available.....the difference resides in the different lines or strains.....some lines are stronger genetically which results in greater illness/disease resistance. I've had hens live to be greater than 10 years and my oldest cock bird is now 6-7 years old. Breeding only the healthiest and strongest specimens produces like offsprings. Personally, I find that once they are out of the shell, very few ever die. What you read is a classic example of a poor genetic line,.....with that being said, there are probably more issues regarding the birds. This is why I stress to people to do their homework to ensure they acquire strong healthy birds that represent the breed well.

Hello Folks,

I'm looking to get some chickens soon and I'm undecided on the breed.  I;m looking hard at the Buckeye and some others.  I have enjoyed reading the thread and thank all the contributors, you are a dedicated bunch with passion for the breed.  Have a good evening.

v/r

Mike

Buckeyes are a great breed and you won't be disappointed.....like with any breed of poultry, make sure you read up and get birds that suit you.

JoshU put it very well, these are an excellent breed. I "tried on" 30 breeds to see what I wanted to keep and breed. The Buckeyes have a really cool history, but they rose to the top of my list rapidly because of all the wonderful qualities they possess. I can't find anything negative to say about them except maybe they are too darn friendly sometimes and I step on a few toes at feeding time. Oh, and they are pigs and LOVE to eat. I talk a lot of people into trying to Buckeyes when they are looking for a few backyard birds to lay and/or enjoy in the yard. They always come back to tell me how much they love their Bucks. And I will never get over the different sound of a Buckeye crow, I just love everything about them.
People sometimes say, "Well, you just want to sell birds." I do, it is how I pay for my flocks feed, but I breed and show and sell Buckeyes because I believe they are an amazing breed and just the all-around perfect breed for all the qualities they have.

Pea comb= minimal frostbite even in worst winter conditions.
Smaller wattles= same as pea comb
Temperment= very doscile and friendly breed
Egg production= never gonna compete with commercial and hybrid layers but around 200/year is good
Meat production=Never gonna compete with commercial broilers but the flavor is so much better on a slower growing breed and they have nice sized breasts and really nice thighs and legs.
Health=my buckeyes are always healthy and hardy
Forage/caged= buckeyes are a breed very adaptable to being free ranged or caged.
Color= There is no other breed out there that can compete with a quality buckeye's Dark red sheen contrasted with the green tinted black tails. They are quite striking to say the least. I am sure they have other great qualities that I am omitting but these are the most recognized here on my farm.

There are so many breeds to pick from. I really do like the Buckeyes. I also like the Iowa Blue, Delaware, New Hampshire and Plymouth Rock and others. I have small children (2 and 4 year old), so friendly is good. I want them to raise them for 4H and later VoAg class (if they go that way). Also for eggs and meat. I do want good stock and I'm willing to travel to get some. I live within 1 mile of the Ohio river, halfway between Wheeling and Parkersburg. The closest town is New Martinsville WV. We live on a small farm and have the space. Building coops now. I work full time but vacation is coming soon. I will keep watching this thread and learning. Thank you everyone.

v/r

Mike Daugherty

Check out the link in my signature at the bottom of my post to find how close you are to someone who may be able to get you some buckeyes. It is best to start making calls and emailing in the fall and early winter for availability in the spring. You may get lucky, but most people have their flocks culled down to keepers in preparation for winter. Good luck and enjoy the thread and links.

Hello all. I haven't been on here in quite some time. The Ohio National is coming up quickly and I just wanted to check in and see who all was planning on attending. I know this group of people always have a great time there. We don't get to see each other often, but when we do it's always a blast. I'd like for us to have a bigger turnout this year than any year past. AND Josh and I will have matching shirts this year. I can't wait to see you all.

Nice pic....a good group of people loving what they are doing and the people they are with.

Last edited:
I'd like to give a shout out to Marie Taylor and her daughter from our club. They exhibited LF Buckeyes at the North Carolina State fair and cleaned house with them both in the open and junior shows. Attached are a few pics. Marie placed Grand Champion LF with a very nice cockerel she raised this year and her daughter placed "Best female" with a Buckeye hen. Congratulations on both of their successes in the FIRST time ever exhibiting! Go Buckeye Nation

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom