The Buckeye Thread

Nice looking Josh!
Is one of these girls related to my babies - who hopefully you can see from the pix I sent you, are getting very big!
What was the approximate hatch date of my babies?

No I don't think they are related. The chicks I donated to the EOPA were hen hatched by a freerange hen. They are separate from my main breeders. There were 7 hens of which any could be the mothers. I did get the pics just now. Thanks for sharing. If you like, I can post them here. Your chicks were born the last week of august.

Wow - these little guys are growing quite quickly then for not being any older! I will get some more pix of them today and send them to you. Feel free to post any pix you want - they did come from your flock!

Be it that I now have easy meals for predators, the local red tail hawk momma had a great spring raising her chicks. I moved my new birds out in the yard, away from the old flock surrounded by an electric fence. I thought the fence would keep the bad guys out AND the good guys (chicks) in. Silly me, some chicks walked right through the fence as they were not able to complete the circuit and get shocked! So they just started wandering to where the "grass was greener" and were "sitting ducks" for the hawks. Once I recognized what was happening I placed a chicken fence inside the electric to keep them in. Then momma found the chicks my broodies hatched out and picked them off one at a time. It was a stressful, joyful, sad, happy summer.

I started with 11 girls and 9 boys from a straight run from Theri and raised 7 girls and 6 boys to maturity. Hence, the hawk saga comment. Hope that answers your question.

I isolate my broodies within the flock. After hatch, I release the brood to the flock. Some people don't agree with this, but I have not lost a chick to an aggressive hen and this might help with hawk protection. I have lots of room (pasture), a creep feeder and multiple places for broods to hide and get out of the way of others. So far so good.

Do Buckeyes lay thru the winter? I don't have any but I am interested. They are very pretty. I know I like what I have read about them but can't remember about their egg laying for sure. I'm thinking similar to Doms.
To avoid repetition, can I recommend you go back a little in this thread? I believe someone asked a similar question. But in short, if you have a good line of them that is a good layer, if you give them proper housing and feed and the light they require, then yes, you can see eggs through winter.

Finally got the pic of the male I've showing this fall.

7 months old 8 lbs 4 ounces, Reserve Super Grand Champion of Show in EOPA and Reserve Grand Champion LF at SOPA.

Back
Top Bottom