The Buckeye Thread

As a breed? I don't know anyone who has done it. As a hybrid, I've done F1's and really like the results. The cockerels weren't much compared to regular production Barred Rocks. About the same in size and similar in looks. The hens, however, were beautiful black sex links with soft feathers, nice producers of abundant brown eggs and a few streaks of red in the neck area. Very docile, friendly girls that made a nice addition to the flock.

Thanks Marengoite! Sounds like you had fun with the F1s
Anyone else working on this as a project or already have a strain that is barred?

Congrats on the egg @11mini . That's not bad for a pullet egg. How old is she?

Congrats on the egg @11mini . That's not bad for a pullet egg. How old is she?
I think around 10 months but I'm really not sure. This is my first, well now second year with three chickens. I bought them last summer in July she is from a pen marked "layer hens" but I did not get any eggs from her last year. I think she was just getting to POL too late in the year and the lack of daylight stopped her. I read somewhere earlier they they tend to restart in the beginning of February.

If you have the space to let her set, then go for it. It is always a personal choice on how to handle these situations. I have never had a hard time breaking my Buckeyes from brooding by just pulling them off the nest for a few days. Must be my line isn't as broody as others.
Good luck with her.

Much to my surprise, I threw away only 2 eggs instead of all eight. I never really believed she would ride it out but she is a trooper.

I took the chicks because it gets too cold here for a young hen to really care for them through the winter. She was upset and looked for them for a couple days or so but my daughter kissed up to her with red worms and who knows what else. She's also taking care of the chicks...Buckeye/Turken hybrids. I think there are 5 cockerels but that's just fine...they are all hefty and very heavily boned. I will be caponizing the cockerels, perhaps poulardize the pullets too.

Might be a good time to teach daughter how to alter birds.
thumbsup.gif

I picked them up from Sharon Fildes in Ohio. She is a very nice lady with some good looking birds and she seemed extremely knowledgeable about poultry in general.

I've been looking for a really good dual purpose breed, so I decided to try buckeyes after reading about them here and a few other places. So far they are all really healthy and super vigorous. They try and eat just about anything I've put in with them, such as chopped veggies, redworms, and even crickets. I'm really looking forward to see how they turn out.

I picked them up from Sharon Fildes in Ohio. She is a very nice lady with some good looking birds and she seemed extremely knowledgeable about poultry in general.

I've been looking for a really good dual purpose breed, so I decided to try buckeyes after reading about them here and a few other places. So far they are all really healthy and super vigorous. They try and eat just about anything I've put in with them, such as chopped veggies, redworms, and even crickets. I'm really looking forward to see how they turn out.
I love tossing live crickets in the brooder for the chicks… Endless entertainment. I've heard of Sharon, though I'm not very familiar with her birds. I hope you are happy with these guys and enjoy them! The Buckeye is a really lovely breed.

Back
Top Bottom