The Buckeye Thread

Shellz I am chewing my fingernails in anticipation right here behind you, in the background! :fl
Thanks! Nice to have a bit of support.
1f60a.png
Luckily, I'm distracted at an appt. right now & then visiting a friend in the city. It comes as a relief actually, to be otherwise occupied when there's nothing you can do anyway.
1f609.png

If you can keep yourself busy until lockdown, time goes by faster. After you've set everything up for lockdown, even better to be distracted by something else until Day 20. Tomorrow I'll be a basketcase!
1f606.png

I'm excited for your hatch too! :highfive:

Last edited:
Shellz I am hoping all your eggs will hatch and you'll have WAAAAY too many chicks and have to sell me some
celebrate.gif
!!!!
Finnie yes an incubator is a must! But save up to buy the biggest and best one you can afford. Personally I prefer broodies- they make it look so easy.

Good broodies are the best! :D When you can't or don't have those, the best incubator you can buy is the next best option. I've had a crappy LG still air unit, then a Hovabator Genesis & now hatching in the Brinsea Octagon 40. This is the best, stress-free unit I've ever had. :)

First Buckeye is out! :weee

Time will tell how many will hatch. I'll let you know CanadianBuckeye. ;)

Last edited:
Shellz I am right behind you- hatched out my Dark Cornish and Buckeyes today.
Had some problems with the incubator, my incukit mini quit 3 times...... they are sending me a new power adapter and hopefully that's the last time that happens.
One egg quit around day 10, but the rest that were fertile made it to lockdown. Sadly one Buckeye chick pipped but died when a piece of shell pierced it, another had to be helped out and it had some weird problem where the neck was swollen and bent and the chick couldn't stand so I had to euthanize. Not bad though considering I didn't think any of them would hatch. Got 8 Cornish and 6 Buckeyes.
But, the rest are happy and healthy and very active! I'll try to post pictures when I figure out how it's done.

I've had chicks with bent necks before. Best to cull, IMO. That sucks about the piece of shell piercing one. Sometimes a chick will pierce a vein when hatching. All kinds of weird things can happen! Just hope to keep them at a minimum. Those numbers are a good start!

I've been so busy lately, I plumb forgot to post pics here! They're over a week old already! Will try tomorrow. Can't wait to see yours CanadianBuckeye! :D

Here they are! A real nice bunch of healthy chicks. Seen some chest bumping already! When these guys aren't sleeping, they're quite active. I don't think I've seen such robust chicks. Love 'em! :D Check out the one with the karate moves on the right. :lol:
I find uploading photos on BYC is much easier than PSO. I can't do multiple pics on PSO like I can here. I still haven't figured out how to do it on ACE. I can't be bothered. :p

Back
Top Bottom