The Buckeye Thread

Wait, you can sex Buckeyes at hatch? (Please forgive me, am new to the breed. And haven't gone back to read through this thread, either.)
Not AT hatch, but within the first week you can do it pretty accurately by looking at the shape the wings are coming in and the tail. The pullets will have a sideways tear drop shape to the wing within a few days and the males are more blocky shaped, along with pullets have something of a tail coming in. There are a few breeds I know I can sex this way in about 5 days from hatch. Other breeds all grow in the same.
Shellz middle picture of the one chick is a pullet. Compare it to the one in the bottom picture right in the middle by the water pan, which is a cockerel. Some people don't believe me, but I have had others try doing it this way and they come out almost 100%. It is nice knowing this, but for me, I keep just about all the ones I hatch so I have a good selection for the next breeding season. For folks who can't keep males, it is a useful thing to know early on.

Not AT hatch, but within the first week you can do it pretty accurately by looking at the shape the wings are coming in and the tail.  The pullets will have a sideways tear drop shape to the wing within a few days and the males are more blocky shaped, along with pullets have something of a tail coming in.  There are a few breeds I know I can sex this way in about 5 days from hatch.  Other breeds all grow in the same.

Shellz middle picture of the one chick is a pullet. Compare it to the one in the bottom picture right in the middle by the water pan, which is a cockerel.  Some people don't believe me, but I have had others try doing it this way and they come out almost 100%.  It is nice knowing this, but for me, I keep just about all the ones I hatch so I have a good selection for the next breeding season.  For folks who can't keep males, it is a useful thing to know early on.

I thought they were about 50/50. Just my guessing. The cockerel is the light colored one, or the darker one to the right? I've got a big feeder in there, that's less likely for them to scratch out all the feed. :p

I thought they were about 50/50. Just my guessing. The cockerel is the light colored one, or the darker one to the right? I've got a big feeder in there, that's less likely for them to scratch out all the feed.
tongue.png

I fought that feeder battle for years then I just gave up and let them scratch all they want. When I clean the brooder, I just dump the goods into the middle of a compost pile and let the older birds glean through it....works for me and doesn't hurt any of the scroungers, in the over all scheme of things.

Hi all,
New Buckeye owner here in Illinois. I came by some chicks from Minniechickmama eggs via my sister in MI. She hatched them, and I don't know how she ever gave them up they're so cute. I think there are three pullets and three cockerels, but not so sure on two of the cockerels- they are nothing like the main man of the bunch, I think he was born with extra testosterone. I would love to post a picture of all, but I only get pictures of six beaks or grass. Here are a few individual shots. First is Bumble, who stays for sure and
Spartacus, who I'll need to find a way to keep, since he's so beautiful and I've named him.

Everyone else looks about the same:

Hey hey! Spartacus looks like he is going to be sporting too much black, but if you are happy with him and he suits your needs, that is what is important. For breeding though, I would go with a cleaner color without so much black. They are looking good and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom