The Buckeye Thread

Hey hey! Spartacus looks like he is going to be sporting too much black, but if you are happy with him and he suits your needs, that is what is important. For breeding though, I would go with a cleaner color without so much black. They are looking good and healthy!
Thanks for your input on color and the other pictures you've been sending. (Disclaimer **My two picks from the flock are strictly on personality, at this point I'm not getting into breeding). I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates seeing your birds.
I'll enjoy posting more pictures soon! I'll also update everyone on how highly educated they are, since they live in the illustrious District 203. Soon I'll have to sport that bumper sticker that says "I heart my Buckeye Honors Chicken"

Hey Theri,
I've got a couple more young ones (13 weeks today) that I'd like to post. For you to comment on for everyone's benefit.
The first is boy who is carrying more red than black. I like him but I suspect he's not dark enough, you be the judge.

this next one is a nice looking pullet who has a bit of black. What do you think?

here is one that is similar.

and then one you already commented on. WAY to much black right?

Some pictures of Gingersnap, my Buckeye chick from Meyer. She is in her awkward stage now.
big_smile.png

(And her EE friends and a cream legbar.)

Nice chicks!
1f603.png

I'm having a hard time getting good pics of my Buckeyes.
1f613.png
They're just over 3 weeks old, so still in the brooder. Will be easier once they're feathered out & transferred to the coop. They're growing well & a few look especially nice.
1f609.png

Nice chicks!
1f603.png

I'm having a hard time getting good pics of my Buckeyes.
1f613.png
They're just over 3 weeks old, so still in the brooder. Will be easier once they're feathered out & transferred to the coop. They're growing well & a few look especially nice.
1f609.png

One thing you can try, if you are not opposed to doing a photo shoot in the house, it has worked for me. I put a towel over a piece of furniture (usually an ottoman) and put a small pile of pine chips in the center of it. Then I take two or three chicks at a time and put them on there. Oddly enough, they act like they have never seen a pine chip before, and gather around them and stay put long enough to get some decent photos. But then they will start to take dust baths on the towel, so you just have to get your clear shots in between motions. Mine have not been comfortable enough to try to leave the towel, even though they go to the edge and look down. Maybe that's the lure of the pine chips, taking comfort in the only thing the can see that they are familiar with.

Oh, and keep Kleenexes handy.

I have two Buckeyes! They are supposed to be a couple weeks old. I'm wondering if the comb difference already between the two is an indication of gender? The smaller, darker, bigger comb, also has a more developed tail. Does any of this mean anything? I just started with chickens about a month ago, and these are my first and only Buckeye.

Thanks for any insight you pros can offer!

Hey Theri,
I've got a couple more young ones (13 weeks today) that I'd like to post. For you to comment on for everyone's benefit.
The first is boy who is carrying more red than black. I like him but I suspect he's not dark enough, you be the judge.

this next one is a nice looking pullet who has a bit of black. What do you think?

here is one that is similar.

and then one you already commented on. WAY to much black right?

How about some pictures of them from the side, standing on the ground. There isn't much to say when they are being held other than some general color comments. Color is something to look at, of course, but if a bird has gorgeous color but serious type faults than they still aren't going to be a bird you should consider breeding. I would take a bird with too much black or even one that is a bit on the light side over one that has something like a roach back or is narrow bodied or things like that.

I want to add that I am not an authority on the judging of poultry. I know what I like to see in Buckeyes and other breeds I keep, but there are some judges who still hang around on this site that may have some insight to what looks good and doesn't. However, if you want a true evaluation of your birds, then showing them at a show where a qualified judge will give feedback is the best way to go. Of course, that is pretty tough to do for many of us this year with so many shows being suspended.

Last edited:
I have two Buckeyes! They are supposed to be a couple weeks old. I'm wondering if the comb difference already between the two is an indication of gender? The smaller, darker, bigger comb, also has a more developed tail. Does any of this mean anything? I just started with chickens about a month ago, and these are my first and only Buckeye.

Thanks for any insight you pros can offer!
I don't look at the combs at that age so much as the feathering for sexing. You can find that combs can differ in size from line to line. I have a hen who has a big, awful comb, and I suspect that a couple of the bad combs I have seen in young birds this year may have come from her. I liked the rest of her, which is why I kept her.
The thing you want to watch with the combs isn't just size but when they start getting red earlier on the males. That being said, I think you have two pullets, but time will tell for sure. The color on the one on the right is much better though already as far as the richness of the dark red it will have.

I don't look at the combs at that age so much as the feathering for sexing. You can find that combs can differ in size from line to line. I have a hen who has a big, awful comb, and I suspect that a couple of the bad combs I have seen in young birds this year may have come from her. I liked the rest of her, which is why I kept her.
The thing you want to watch with the combs isn't just size but when they start getting red earlier on the males. That being said, I think you have two pullets, but time will tell for sure. The color on the one on the right is much better though already as far as the richness of the dark red it will have.

I'm no pro but from my short experience, at two weeks, the cockerels seem to have a blunt, squared-off tail that is shorter than the pullet's. This has worked out almost 100% for me but it may have been a coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom