The Buckeye Thread

With any hybrid though, you should see some boost in different characteristics. I know crossing Buckeyes with Dark Cornish can get really nice eating birds that first year from many of the males, and even the females are hefty birds, though they mostly resembled Buckeyes.

oops KlopKlop you did say Dixie Rainbows- I don't know why I wrote Freedom Rangers. Hellbender's absolutely right, they are different! I saw them for the first time last year in the Murray McMurray catalogue. They look cool, I wonder what they are a cross of.

oops KlopKlop you did say Dixie Rainbows- I don't know why I wrote Freedom Rangers. Hellbender's absolutely right, they are different! I saw them for the first time last year in the Murray McMurray catalogue. They look cool, I wonder what they are a cross of.
I would suspect they have some barred rock in them, maybe cornish, maybe RIR. Look at the coloring in the roo. Hens are almost all rusty red in primary colors. I got mine from Hoovers and i called and asked if they were a hybrid. The guy said they were not and 'should breed true'. I have read some reviews of the breed on here from about 4-5 years ago where people said the first generation was all over the board but there is definitly room for breed improvement in those 5 years. Im going into it with no expectations, so im not too concerned.

Sounds like a very interesting project. There is a thread on this forum where someone crossed a Buckeye with a cornish rock meatie and got a nice cross. 

Yep, just gotta raise a bunch of cornish x and hope you get a few to survive to breeding age. ;) Have never raised these myself, but know its possible with the right set-up.

I will definitely share my results when i do get some hatched.  
Dixie Rainbows look great! I look forward to the cross as well. :)

Here are my Buckeyes at 6 weeks old now. Most appear to be cockerels.

Anyone have one this pale feathered? Seems odd to me. :/

Shellz your chicks are lovely.
big_smile.png

I think quite a few people have been able to raise the smaller meatie hens to adulthood, not so much luck with the roosters though although it has been done. So, how many Buckeye pullets do you think you have? I still can't tell for sure with the younger chicks but I think I have a rooster an 2 pullets in my 9 week old flock.
KlopKlop Big Buck is huge! Those poor girls.............. hopefully they can run faster than him ;-)

Last edited:
Shellz your chicks are lovely.
big_smile.png

I think quite a few people have been able to raise the smaller meatie hens to adulthood, not so much luck with the roosters though although it has been done. So, how many Buckeye pullets do you think you have? I still can't tell for sure with the younger chicks but I think I have a rooster an 2 pullets in my 9 week old flock.
KlopKlop Big Buck is huge! Those poor girls.............. hopefully they can run faster than him ;-)

Love ALWAYS finds a way.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom