The Buckeye Thread

Shellz your chicks are lovely. :D
I think quite a few people have been able to raise the smaller meatie hens to adulthood, not so much luck with the roosters though although it has been done. So, how many Buckeye pullets do you think you have?  I still can't tell for sure with the younger chicks but I think I have a rooster an 2 pullets in my 9 week old flock. 
KlopKlop Big Buck is  huge! Those poor girls..............  hopefully they can run faster than him ;-)
Thanks.
1f60a.png
I think I only have 3 maybe 4 pullets. I've decided to make things easier & will only keep 2 Buckeye pullets instead of 3. More for you!

I love big birds! KlopKlop will make for a nice meat bird project.
1f609.png

Here are my Buckeyes at 6 weeks old now. Most appear to be cockerels.

Anyone have one this pale feathered? Seems odd to me.
hmm.png

I have NEVER seen a Buckeye looking like that one! Are you sure that these are pure? They are looking quite fluffy too. There are a couple that look REALLY light even for that stage of feathering. Just my observation.

I have NEVER seen a Buckeye looking like that one!  Are you sure that these are pure?  They are looking quite fluffy too.  There are a couple that look REALLY light even for that stage of feathering.  Just my observation.  
Wow. You've confirmed everything I've noticed. They are a mixed bunch. Some smaller, some bigger, some with poofy rears. Oh well, I'm just looking to keep a couple of pullets for eggs.

Shellz I think they are pure, ( think that Ethan only has Dominiques and that cross would be black. But, Perhaps...........Canadian Buckeyes are different. Maybe there's Chantecler in there ?
wink.png
) I am sure they will grow up to be lovely no matter what. Shellz I think you should start over, and sell all of these ones to me.
big_smile.png

Wow. You've confirmed everything I've noticed. They are a mixed bunch. Some smaller, some bigger, some with poofy rears. Oh well, I'm just looking to keep a couple of pullets for eggs.
If they suit your purpose, then there is nothing wrong with keeping them. I would never try breeding any with that much negative stuff going on though. I can't get over that color! Makes me wonder if someone tried crossing some Wyandotte or something into them. You never really know what might get mixed in unless you are breeding them yourself, and even then, on the rare occasion a rooster might sneak over into a pen he doesn't belong in.

KlopKlop Big Buck is  huge! Those poor girls..............  hopefully they can run faster than him ;-)

He is actually a really gentle guy! I've only seen him mount one Australop and only when she 'offered' and he was actually very nice to her. I will keep an eye on the ladies to make sure they aren't getting over worked. He is the only Roo in with 32 gals though so im not too worried :)

KlopKlop that's absolutely fantastic if he's a gentleman! He sounds like a sweetie. I had a very nice rooster, he was a black Minorca that unfortunately, our neighbour's dog killed. He was such a nice guy., good to the hens. I had some other roosters that were horrible, so it's nice to have a good one!

Minniechickmama, how much mottling is OK for Buckeye chicks to have? I was very surprised when I first saw a picture of a Buckeye chick and it had spots. Some of my 9 week olds still have a few feathers with mottles, and some lighter primary wing feathers. Is this normal? I'll try to get some photos.

He is actually a really gentle guy! I've only seen him mount one Australop and only when she 'offered' and he was actually very nice to her. I will keep an eye on the ladies to make sure they aren't getting over worked. He is the only Roo in with 32 gals though so im not too worried
smile.png

If your luck is anything like mine, the big boy could be a CAPON!!!
lau.gif
Just kidding...not very likely since he crows like a machine...lol

Back
Top Bottom