The Buckeye Thread

KlopKlop,
I need to ask about the string on Big Buck's leg. How did he tolerate that? I've not seen this done before, but what a great idea. Does anyone else leash their chickens?
I've not introduced older birds to my flock so I'm used to them doing what they're told. If they don't, the dog helps round them up.

KlopKlop,
I need to ask about the string on Big Buck's leg. How did he tolerate that? I've not seen this done before, but what a great idea. Does anyone else leash their chickens?
I've not introduced older birds to my flock so I'm used to them doing what they're told. If they don't, the dog helps round them up.
Justso,

I only had him leashed like that because he was just rehomed to my farm from another farm. He was in 'quarantine' just to make sure he was healthy for a while before I brought him to meet his ladies. The only place I had to quarantine him at the time was an area inside my shop and I felt bad with him stuck inside all day. I knew he would beeline for my other coops if I just let him out so I did a slipknot and just tied him to a post in his own little area. There are lots of people who do that regularly with game birds I guess and there are much better leg ties than just a slipknot (search bird tie outs). Since it was only for an hour or two a night for a week it worked, but I would worry about chaffing and/or circulation issues to his toes if it had to be a long term solution.

Your story about tying a rope to a chicken,,, well your case a rooster reminded me of a story my poor neighbor friend told me today about her experience. She found one of here buckeye hens that hatched out 12 chicks and they were not in the chicken yard but rather out on her farm. She tempted to catch the hen and chicks with no avail. She caught the hen and two chicks in tall grass/weeds. She tried to put the hen in a cage that the chicks could only go through to lure them with it. She came back in 30 or so minutes and noticed that the donkey knocked over the makeshift wire cage. So the hen was loose. She wrangled the hen again and then caught two more chicks. She then tied a rope to the leg of the hen thinking the other chicks now hiding would go to the hen. Well the rope broke and the hen is out of here. She caught the hen again and took off the rope and decided that they might be better off outside the chicken yard.

True story. The way she was telling the story of her fiasco made me die laughing.

Just a question about the Buckeye breed. Is it possible to have a Buckeye chick with a straight comb? The ones that have the parents separated the Buckeyes from the rest of their breeds in to their own pen. They waited 30 days before collecting eggs from the Buckeye hens. Now here's the thing, one of the Buckeye chicks have what looks to be the makings of a straight comb. The chicks are all 8 weeks old. The chicks all look a like except for the fact that the one is getting a straight comb. I have other grown Buckeyes and they all have pea combs like the other chicks. Does this happen sometimes? I mean is it like from the great great grand daddy game one or something?

Just a question about the Buckeye breed. Is it possible to have a Buckeye chick with a straight comb? The ones that have the parents separated the Buckeyes from the rest of their breeds in to their own pen. They waited 30 days before collecting eggs from the Buckeye hens. Now here's the thing, one of the Buckeye chicks have what looks to be the makings of a straight comb. The chicks are all 8 weeks old. The chicks all look a like except for the fact that the one is getting a straight comb. I have other grown Buckeyes and they all have pea combs like the other chicks. Does this happen sometimes? I mean is it like from the great great grand daddy game one or something?

Likely happens more than anyone knows. There's no reason the bird couldn't be used in a 'laying flock if it's a pullet but a cockerel should, at best, be eaten...never used in a breeding program, dedicated to producing PURE bred birds. I would even look askance at the malefactor's pedigree, might not use either of them again to produce supposed pure stock...Just my opinions...

RON

Last edited:
So Big Buck has been in with his 32 hen harem for several days now. It could be my imagination but his crows sound a little tired today haha

Mine would too if I was trying to service 32 ladies

So Big Buck has been in with his 32 hen harem for several days now. It could be my imagination but his crows sound a little tired today haha

Mine would too if I was trying to service 32 ladies
He Is Probably not servicing all 32. Even when there is a lot less females, males tend to have favorites.

Walt

Some lines do throw single combs, which is a big no-no if you are breeding pure you shouldn't see that. I can honestly say, I have never had one out of the stock that originated from Urch. I have hatched eggs from some others and did have singles show up and culled them immediately, and I ended up not keeping anything of those lines in my breeding.

hellbender is correct, you shouldn't use them in a breeding program if you are wanting to breed pure Buckeyes.

Even in the chicken world there are some ugly girls, is that what you are saying, Walt? LOL Offer the rooster a paper bag and see if more of them get bred. hee hee hee

Agreed. I had a rooster that had 12 favorite hens out of 43 hens. I sold the 12 so he would mix more with the better hens. That roo was raving mad for about 3 weeks after the hens left. He even went after me several times and he never did that before. We are both at a mutual agreement after his fit with me and he is mixing more with the hens. Got some nice offspring from him.

Ofcourse big buck looks like a nice big roo.

Back
Top Bottom