The Buckeye Thread

Hi all ! Sorry I've been gone a while - but the buckeye peeps have been doing well - all except 1 .... She came to me at a day - and was already poor, so I figured she would die. I don't save them anymore - I learned my lesson. But she held on ... and now she ugly and growing .... I think her issues have to do with the final days of incubation and hatching - but still - won't use her to breed.

She is smallest - and run to me and DH whenever we walk out the back door .... since is small and wizened - DH has named her Ruth Gater Ginsberg .... ha ha ha So little Ruthie has won our hearts with her tenacity.

Here are some progression pics for your viewing enjoyment ..... first is of them a while ago - going in the grow out coop ....

Now all current and free ranging - you can pick out Ruth as any dark teen peep with no neck feathers (she also has top beak overgrowth)

Hi all ! Sorry I've been gone a while - but the buckeye peeps have been doing well - all except 1 .... She came to me at a day - and was already poor, so I figured she would die. I don't save them anymore - I learned my lesson. But she held on ... and now she ugly and growing .... I think her issues have to do with the final days of incubation and hatching - but still - won't use her to breed.

She is smallest - and run to me and DH whenever we walk out the back door .... since is small and wizened - DH has named her Ruth Gater Ginsberg .... ha ha ha So little Ruthie has won our hearts with her tenacity.

Here are some progression pics for your viewing enjoyment ..... first is of them a while ago - going in the grow out coop ....

Now all current and free ranging - you can pick out Ruth as any dark teen peep with no neck feathers (she also has top beak overgrowth)

Looks like she got the naked neck gene! Are those Splash Ameraucanas?

ha ha well I saw her parents - and certainly there is no NN passed on from them - so it may be some sort of spontaneous mutation from the hatching issues ???? Isn't she UGLY !!!!

the others are splash Arkansas Blues :) bred to lay production amounts (leghorn) of BLUE eggs :) Here are grey/splash hen and roo - the ones in the pick will be white/grey splash

Last edited:
Awwwww. poor ugly Ruthie. ...... but she looks like she's doing just fine. That naked neck is very interesting, looks a bit different than the usual naked neck. Are there feather follicles? There aren't in true naked necks.
Who knows, she may grow up beautiful!

I'm figuring some of this will fill in - there are some sparse feather follicles on her neck and many on her head ....

Also - a few posts above someone was talking about feathers curling out she has those on both sides and it seems that will go away with molting. My other 4 buckeye chicks are all fully feathered out and looking dark and healthy. I think - according to combs - I have only ONE ROO !!! WOW :) That would be good ..... for me right now - just getting started.

She is soooo sweet - running up to humans and wanting to be held... lately she has been squirting inside the door and running around the house until I catch her - which I certainly don't encourge - I pick her right up and plop her in the 50 pound feedbag ... HA HA HA I let her eat in total peace for a minute and then put her out.

ha ha well I saw her parents - and certainly there is no NN passed on from them - so it may be some sort of spontaneous mutation from the hatching issues ???? Isn't she UGLY !!!!

the others are splash Arkansas Blues :) bred to lay production amounts (leghorn) of BLUE eggs :) Here are grey/splash hen and roo - the ones in the pick will be white/grey splash

Those are kind of cool. I love Blues but they are such a pain in the butt to breed to standard with the way the color varies so much, then you have to work on lacing too, all while trying to get good type. I have 4 breeds of Blues and presently only have some Blue Cochins I am seriously looking at selling off.

allopecia ! :) ha ha whatever it is - I know it was due to poor health at hatch .... for whatever reason. Since I hold her each day, I can see her skin is pretty healthy - now getting a little red from sunburn - but all over - she is healthy - just Fu-ugly !!!!! and smaller than the rest of her hatchmates. Who all had the same father and a handful of different hens ....

It appears that buckeyes do not like this heat that we are having. I dunked my buckeye roo in the drinker to cool it off. It just sat in it for a couple of minutes before leaving. I of course put new water in the drinker aftterwards/

Back
Top Bottom