The Buckeye Thread

Good phrase, Minniechickmama-- "Do they satisfy my intent for them". Yes, they do. Although my intent has changed. I knew nothing about this breed until I got the chicks--we were actually looking for an alternative to meatking broilers and I thought- "Pea Comb, pretty colour, large egg and a good dressed bird"--that would be great. Then fate made sure I only got 2 cockerels and 5 pullets, so I nixed the broiler/replacement idea right away.

Turns out- of all my breeds I got from the breeder- these are my favorites.
Then I read their history, saw they were threatened, and decided if I'm going to work with certain breeds for the rest of my chicken-keeping life- may as well try to help a threatened breed, eh?

I think my girls are lovely- again, a bit too low in the tail but nice even colour. Maybe the tails will come up to 30 degrees, they aren't horizontal totally. They are all young, just started laying in the past few weeks so they will mature, and I know I saw sickles in the male. The rumpless comment was a joke though- they are definitely not rumpless birds.

I may try to get outside pictures of them today if they don't get too paranoid with me wandering around :)

Pictures!!! You and I both. It's finally a beautiful sunny day here with highs to be around 68 to 70 F. Just hoping for a little co-operation from the birds!
D.gif

Pictures!!! You and I both. It's finally a beautiful sunny day here with highs to be around 68 to 70 F. Just hoping for a little co-operation from the birds!
D.gif
lol. All I got is this.

And pictures of them running away from me! Things to do, bugs to eat!
The middle picture is the weirdly laced girl- just because she's cute, and the male was cozying up to her...

The pea comb is dominant over single, but it doesn't stop there being some mix up and making the pea go ugly.
It shouldn't matter what the comb is though if you plan to just eat them. Even with that one he is less prone to getting frostbitten than with a single.
Okay, after reading the past 60 posts to catch up...
Hellbender...sure hope the surgery gives you the results you want!

and now Pictures to go with Minniechickmama's comment:
This is the product of a Columbian Wyandotte over a Buckeye hen...it was not intentional, but I do think he has some potential...perhaps over a Buckeye hen...

There were two cockerels...this one has the better type and color.....

Last edited:

This is the product of a Columbian Wyandotte over a Buckeye hen...it was not intentional, but I do think he has some potential...perhaps over a Buckeye hen...

Oh, he is purrrTY! For the best size potential, if you are looking for meat, then go with your biggest hen with him. if you want bigger birds, use big hens, they bring more size, a big rooster alone won't get you there. If you were looking at that bird for breeding Wyandottes though, as pretty as he is, he needs work. Eye candy factor, he has 100+!!!!

Thank you! Wasn't thinking of going Wyandotte...was thinking one of the Buckeye hens. The largest hen is actually the best of the hens. She has a great size, balanced frame, nice head, yellow legs. I got my birds from DGibson who has the McCary bloodline.

Last edited:
I am very pleased with the colour of the East Coast Buckeyes as well, and of course their temperaments are superb. I'm glad I listened to the great advice and I'm being patient- although my rooster was really ugly between 4-5 months, he seems to be improving tremendously as the days go by. That shine on the rooste's feathers is amazing.

I am very pleased with the colour of the East Coast Buckeyes as well, and of course their temperaments are superb. I'm glad I listened to the great advice and I'm being patient- although my rooster was really ugly between 4-5 months, he seems to be improving tremendously as the days go by. That shine on the rooste's feathers is amazing.
My guy?
If so, you're the second person to say that today.

They are only a bit over 5 months, and I honestly see a big difference week by week. It's like growing a garden-- add water, fertilizer, love and sunshine.
I'm going to get the best rooster possible from the breeder and then work like hell to keep this lovely breed going.

Wow, he is beautiful! Got me thinking. Would it be ok if I posted a picture of a rooster I have that I can not for the life of me figure out his parentage? I hatched him and two others just like him from my barnyard mix of chickens. We have a buckeye rooster and hen running around with other breeds including Gamefowl. I have been thinking lately that the rooster reminds me of a Buckeye rooster with his build. Would y'all be willing to give your input on what his background could be?

Back
Top Bottom