The Buckeye Thread

Do you have a pic

Last edited:
That is a good deal. You better watch out with that incubator. It tends to get addictive to the point that a person will come close to buying store bought eggs to eat because there is not enough eggs for the incubator.
Trust me because I built a 200ish egg incubator last spring and it would take 14 days to fill. My results were poor as there were way too many hens to one roo (20 to 1). I would toss about 5 -6 dozen eggs out due to being clear on day 18.

Those broodies are WAY better and cheaper at raising chicks.
Stryker this comment should be cross posted to every thread and list in BYC.

Not that it would do any good.....
roll.png

You guys don't know crazy hatching yet, I had 300 eggs going in every week from December until May last year! LOL!!! I am cutting way down though and keeping it to hatching just for me this year. I sold the 624 egg capacity redwood cabinet this fall. I just have the 300 egg incubator with the 300 egg hatcher now ;)
gig.gif

I go that bug about 6 years ago and it bit me HARD!
It is a lot of work and money to do all that hatching though, they all need to go somewhere and people don't always come and get what they tell you they want when you have them ready. Then you have all the extra males nobody wants to deal with. It is no easy thing to run the bators to full.

Thank you!!
I believe it is a pullet, but I reserve the right to change my mind in one month's time ;)
This is the most difficult age to sex Buckeyes in my opinion. The head looks pullet, the overall look of the feathers do as well. Normally, even at that age, cockerels have very little tail and are still blocky in their feather appearance, if that makes sense to you? If I can find some pictures to show you what I mean, I can show you. I have actually found I can sex Buckeye in the first week based on their feather growth, and it would be way easier than this age.

I believe it is a pullet, but I reserve the right to change my mind in one month's time ;)
This is the most difficult age to sex Buckeyes in my opinion. The head looks pullet, the overall look of the feathers do as well. Normally, even at that age, cockerels have very little tail and are still blocky in their feather appearance, if that makes sense to you? If I can find some pictures to show you what I mean, I can show you. I have actually found I can sex Buckeye in the first week based on their feather growth, and it would be way easier than this age.

Thank so much!! It's my first time with the breed, and her comb turning red so early threw me off.

Estamets if you lift the wings and look at the saddle feathers that way, you can see them sooner than waiting for them to appear on the back. I think you'd see the start of saddle feathers by now at 8 weeks. Nice looking chick whatever it is boy or girl!

You guys don't know crazy hatching yet, I had 300 eggs going in every week from December until May last year! LOL!!! I am cutting way down though and keeping it to hatching just for me this year. I sold the 624 egg capacity redwood cabinet this fall. I just have the 300 egg incubator with the 300 egg hatcher now ;)
gig.gif

I go that bug about 6 years ago and it bit me HARD!
It is a lot of work and money to do all that hatching though, they all need to go somewhere and people don't always come and get what they tell you they want when you have them ready. Then you have all the extra males nobody wants to deal with. It is no easy thing to run the bators to full.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom