The Buckeye Thread

Estamets if you lift the wings and look at the saddle feathers that way, you can see them sooner than waiting for them to appear on the back. I think you'd see the start of saddle feathers by now at 8 weeks. Nice looking chick whatever it is boy or girl!

Thank you!! I'm usually pretty pleased with the quality of the birds from MPC, especially since I'm not breeding or anything. They're REALLY good for backyard flock birds!

If it's a rooster will you keep him? My Buckeye rooster is very sweet. The thing I like best about Buckeyes (in my very limited experience!) is their friendliness.

I really wish I could! We raise boys for meat, and city ordinance says no roosters, unfortunately. I've had some boys that I loved that I would've kept if I could. Some day we'll live more than 6' from our neighbors...

What kind of hen is that looking at us behind the two pullets? she appears to be large or good size from this pic.
That's my Rhodebar. She's next to my Bielefelder, who is HUGE, and refuses to lay, the freeloader :p. They're both 8 or 9 months old, so their feathers are still new and soft and fluffy. I think that makes them look bigger than they are.

It was a warmer day so we were able to go out to play with the chickens. I made a 40 foot greenhouse and the chickens would rather be out eating fresh grass. I dont care as they will be in the greenhouse when the show flys.

Here are some of my spring pullets. Just love them and they don't mind being held either.

This is Henrietta, I call all my hens and pullets Henrietta as it is easier to keep track of that chicken math.

This is also Henrietta a different pullet and either Heckle or Jeckle as I cannot really tell the two roos apart. They are in the orchard.

See, I cannot really tell them apart. LOL

Its amazing how color can look different either in shade or in the sun. I just love these pullets!

I've got a question about the slate bar. Unfortunately my rooster doesn't have it. Is this a dominant, or recessive trait (or neither?) For example, if I were to cross him with a hen with good slate bars, what percentage of the chicks would have it too? Is there any correlation between the slate bar and too much black? My rooster does have nice, even, deep red colouring.

Back
Top Bottom