The Buckeye Thread

I've got a question about the slate bar. Unfortunately my rooster doesn't have it. Is this a dominant, or recessive trait (or neither?) For example, if I were to cross him with a hen with good slate bars, what percentage of the chicks would have it too? Is there any correlation between the slate bar and too much black? My rooster does have nice, even, deep red colouring.

Unfortunately, if your male doesn't have it, you are going to have a long row to hoe with him to get it. Since the color is influence much more by the male, to gain the slate color will be more difficult by getting it from the females. It is also my experience that with the females with heavier slate, you get surface black that is unwanted. Once again, you will be better off getting either an outcross or a new line to bring the proper color out.

Thanks MCM. I didn't know that the male influenced colour more than the hen, good to know. In that case, I'll still cross him to my best hen and try to avoid black in the feathers- fortunately this doesn't seem to be an issue for me. It will be interesting to see what comes of this, I do have two lines to cross. I'll cull for no slate in future generations.
I did manage to acquire a used Sportsman incubator so I'll be able to hatch out lots of hatching eggs from other lines next year, and hopefully I'll get a good rooster. I'll use the rooster I have now to produce a sweet, even coloured hen line. (just kidding! thankfully Buckeyes don't have to be double bred). I do want productive Buckeyes but they have to look like Buckeyes~~~~!

I have noticed that most of my eggs that I have been getting lately are buckeye eggs.

Let me get this straight......... If I want to darken my line then I want to keep my darkest mahogany bay roo..... If I want to make my line larger in size then I want to keep the largest hens.
I know that other factors play a part as well but am I understanding this correctly?

Looking for a source of Lay strain hatching eggs or chicks

Hi, I'm a long time lurker first time poster. The short question is, can anyone recommend a good source of Lay strain Buckeye hatching eggs or chicks? I have checked Crains Run Ranch and there website says they are not selling any in 2016.

The longer story: I currently have a small flock of New Hampshires. They are my first chickens. Although they have been great layers, they have not been too good for meat and their large combs and wattles have been very prone to frostbite. Also, they are pretty skittish and the roosters have been very aggressive especially towards our kids. They are hatchery birds so I could get some higher quality stock but that will probably only improve the meat quantity/quality. So I am planning to switch to a different breed.

The Lay line of Buckeyes sounds like they produce a good amount of eggs (my first priority) while also being good meat birds. They are obviously winter hardy and it sounds like they won't be as aggressive as our current birds.

Do you agree that the Lay Buckeye's would meet my needs?

Thanks for your help!

Looking for a source of Lay strain hatching eggs or chicks

Hi, I'm a long time lurker first time poster. The short question is, can anyone recommend a good source of Lay strain Buckeye hatching eggs or chicks? I have checked Crains Run Ranch and there website says they are not selling any in 2016.

The longer story: I currently have a small flock of New Hampshires. They are my first chickens. Although they have been great layers, they have not been too good for meat and their large combs and wattles have been very prone to frostbite. Also, they are pretty skittish and the roosters have been very aggressive especially towards our kids. They are hatchery birds so I could get some higher quality stock but that will probably only improve the meat quantity/quality. So I am planning to switch to a different breed.

The Lay line of Buckeyes sounds like they produce a good amount of eggs (my first priority) while also being good meat birds. They are obviously winter hardy and it sounds like they won't be as aggressive as our current birds.

Do you agree that the Lay Buckeye's would meet my needs?

Thanks for your help!

I am going to PM you some info.

The 3 amigos (cockerels), will be referred to by#, 1-3. This is cockerel #2. He has the best coloration I think but is smaller in size, narrower in body, less breast development and is mean to the girls. So far he is a general nuisance all around. Takes over a feed dish and pecks the girls hard from behind sneak attack style.

Chicks are now 24 weeks old today. The first four pics were taken a couple weeks ago but the rest were taken today. I have 3 cockerels and 23 pullets.

The cockerel's behavior varies from charming to outright assault. My poor girls! Today I kept the two highest ranking penned up to let the girls get some peace. Some of their backs are showing signs of wear. I'm thinking of building a separate pen for the 3 amigos and letting them cool their spurs until I need them this spring. Had I access to couple nice roosters this spring, these guys might be headed for freezer camp.

Here's my overall plan. Select the 8 or so best pullets and the best cockerel for flock building.
The remainder will be for eggs and meat production. Non layers and such will be culled.

Meat production and carcass size and quality will likely take precedence over egg production, at least initially.
Just feeling my way along here and am open to advice always.

This is just a friendly orangish pullet.

Cockerel #2 again, his comb is different than the other 2 cockerels.

#2 again

This pullet is growing a comb and wattles. She is the only one like this.

Typical pullet.

Another.

Black!

Cockerel #1
He has the worst coloration with black speckles on the breast and a little under the neck feathers. He is the boss and is generally well mannered with the girls. He is also very good at spotting coyotes and will sound the alarm which my dogs respond to.
He is the largest cockerel and has the best breast development and is wider and blockier. He looks a little bedraggled today because it has been raining. I plan to breed him to the best pullets even though color is not good.

Cockerel #2 today.

Another pullet.

\

More.

Pullets!

What do you think?

Another of cockerel #1.

I don't have a pic of #3. I'll try to get one in a bit. He was attacked by my dog when he was about 9 weeks. His left leg was injured and I think maybe a testicle. At the time, he was well feathered and one of the largest, best looking, most promising cockerels. Being injured drove him to the bottom of the pecking order amongst the boys and seemed to set his development back a month or so. He is in the middle as far as size goes between the 3 boys but his feathering is not glorious. Its like he knows he is at the bottom and his feathering reflects that. His width is better than #2 also.
I'm wondering if maybe his genetics are better than he is showing and am thinking of separating him and giving him a few of the cull pullets just to see if he blossoms.

Here he is! #3

#3 in all his glory!...grin
Yes, you are seeing a light feather or 2 in his wing tip but I think they are going away. Otherwise, I think his color is fairly clean and is improving every week. He tries to be nice to the girls too.

As you'll recall, these are Cackle Hatchery birds. I feel the pullets may be a little smallish but not sure. I know my little flock has many shortcomings. Do you think there is enough to work with here? Honest opinions always appreciated.

A word on my dogs. My dogs were/are predators. They hunt daily and largely subsidize their diets. It took some training to get them to work with me on the chickens. I started with 31 chicks. Emmy Roo, my youngest dog, she just turned 1 year old, killed 2 of my chickens and attacked another. A stray killed another, and coyotes killed 2 more. Emmy Roo spends nearly every day with the chickens. I have seen her light into a coyote with my own eyes protecting them, and when the chickens start their something wrong cackle, both dogs respond. I can't say she is totally reformed but she is definitely on the right track. If you have dogs and chickens, there is hope!

Last edited:
Blackbriars I like your plan!
I found that with multiple cockerels, they were jerks- but thinned down their behaviour was much better. I'm not sure but it looks like the one pullet may have a single comb not a pea comb?

Last edited:
Blackbriars I like your plan!
I found that with multiple cockerels, they were jerks- but thinned down their behaviour was much better. I'm not sure but it looks like the one pullet may have a single comb not a pea comb?

I will check tomorrow. She probably does. When I first noticed it today, I thought another breed was showing through.

Back
Top Bottom