The Buckeye Thread

Blueface that's great! I think I know where your eggs are going!
thumbsup.gif
(There's so very few Buckeye enthusiasts on this side of the border I can guess). Still far far away from me, but it will be great to have some superior Buckeyes in Canada. Our stock needs a boost. Hopefully soon there will be more excellent Buckeyes from other American lines in Canada next year.
fl.gif

I have a question about selection. One of my line of Buckeyes lays weird very long eggs. They are quite ugly and don't fit in the carton. The egg laying is a very important aspect to me, as important as having correct conformation. Is this shape a trait for Buckeyes in general, or is this something I'll be able to breed out ?

Last edited:
I have a question about selection. One of  my line of Buckeyes lays weird very long eggs. They are quite ugly and don't fit in the carton. The egg laying is a very important aspect to me, as important as having correct conformation. Is this shape a trait for Buckeyes in general, or is this something I'll be able to breed out ?

The utility qualities of the Buckeye are exceedingly important to me as well! Those types of qualities are often lost in an exhibition mind-set breeding program. Making the effort to ensure that the breed is structural sound in respects to the standard as well maintaining its excellent dual-purpose utility responsibility is absolutely the correct path to take. Based on my experience, I would cull that individual hen or at least don't raise young from her. You want to breed from complete specimens both in appearance as well as utility. The shape of the egg is more an indivual bird issue and I feel that its possible that problem can be passed down genetically. I noticed the same issue a few years back in a couple birds that were related and made the changes I suggested above.The majority of my eggs now are shaped like the example in the pic below. Two of those puppies will fill up a frying pan! The yolks stand right up and look great! Plus the chicks that pop out when hatched are large and robust.

My daughter has maintained Champion Egg Production in her 4-H program 5-6 years running now. Our 4-H program is large and its not uncommon to compete against many of the hybrid Egg production breeds like the comets and stars as well as production leghorns. The buckeyes always hold their own though.

Last edited:
Blueface I have to say, I am TOTALLY impressed by that egg. I'm trying very hard to follow all the great advice I've been getting on this site and I truly appreciate all the help I've been given from all you gifted Buckeye breeders. Thank you, all of you.

Blueface I have to say, I am TOTALLY impressed by that egg. I'm trying very hard to follow all the great advice I've been getting on this site and I truly appreciate all the help I've been given from all you gifted Buckeye breeders. Thank you, all of you.

Thanks..I'm glad I can help..breeding buckeyes properly and in Nettie's image has become a passion of mine. I just want to see the breed excel and to be admired for its many attributes. Proper breeding, husbandry and selection is key with any breed of fowl. Never make any adjustments until you understand why you are making them in the first place.

I'm quiet, but I'm also still here- still plugging away, collecting eggs and waiting and wishing for spring. (Also in Eastern Canada). I've had a lot of birds over the years, but Buckeyes really surprised me--they are the sleepers in my flock--laying huge eggs, active, busy and friendly. I didn't expect to like them as much as I do. My male is one of the prettiest birds I've ever seen--just crazy shiny, like he's wet all the time. They are only 9 months old but the hens have laid really large eggs from the get-go. My Marans lay a pathetic egg in comparison. I like this breed more than I ever expected to. I look forward to getting better stock in the coming years.

Happy New Year, all!
My Buckeyes are giving me some holiday gifts, starting to see eggs from them now. I still need to split them up in the breeding pens, but they are coming back around for now, and I think I have decided which males have made the cut for being the first to breed with.

Best of wishes for everyone pursuing breeding this year with their Buckeyes!

Happy New Year, all!
My Buckeyes are giving me some holiday gifts, starting to see eggs from them now. I still need to split them up in the breeding pens, but they are coming back around for now, and I think I have decided which males have made the cut for being the first to breed with.

Best of wishes for everyone pursuing breeding this year with their Buckeyes!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom