The Buckeye Thread

I've been looking at my chick photos from last year. Is this head stripe an indication of cross breeding in the past? Or are Buckeye chicks normally marked with stripes now and then?

I have gotten some chicks that show up with these marks. After tracking them from hatch, I have concluded that they are often the darker birds, but once they molt will have black tipped feathers or even showing some light lacing.

Nettie described her color preferences through referencing horse and cattle coat colors...i beleive my website outlines her written description as well as providing pictures that relate to the description referenced.

I'm quite positive that the intended color was indeed darker than many of the lines you see today....the lack of dedicated breeders coupled with propagators that lack the ability to interpret Nettie's descriptions properly or don't even care because they want to make a fast buck using the "endangered" jargon have greatly hurt the breed....the ALBC and their group of drones have not done the Buckeye justice.
Is it possible to get dark red out of those lines, or is it gone forever?
LOL the thing about bay horses is..... there are a lot of shades of Bay, too! And sometimes I think we as individuals perceive colours differently.

I have gotten some chicks that show up with these marks. After tracking them from hatch, I have concluded that they are often the darker birds, but once they molt will have black tipped feathers or even showing some light lacing.

Thanks!
I wonder if these are eWh/ e+ heterozygotes........ I'm trying to see if I can spot various different e locus chicks to see how they finish. This year I will follow them closely too- I plan to keep good records including rate of growth, chick down pattern, and final colour and then other production traits in their adult years.

Nettie described her color preferences through referencing horse and cattle coat colors...i beleive my website outlines her written description as well as providing pictures that relate to the description referenced.

I'm quite positive that the intended color was indeed darker than many of the lines you see today....the lack of dedicated breeders coupled with propagators that lack the ability to interpret Nettie's descriptions properly or don't even care because they want to make a fast buck using the "endangered" jargon have greatly hurt the breed....the ALBC and their group of drones have not done the Buckeye justice.

Is there a general consensus (or not) that the Exhibition RIR is a little too dark for a Buckeye? Or........... ?

Is it possible to get dark red out of those lines, or is it gone forever?
LOL the thing about bay horses is..... there are a lot of shades of Bay, too! And sometimes I think we as individuals perceive colours differently. 

Personally, I feel that if you don't have it from the beginning, its hard to ever recover. Its not just the surface color, its the undercolor as well. I suppose through very very selective line breeding, you can eventually start getting darker colors....I once was told by an utter loon that color can be bred back in just 3 years...nearly a decade later, I can see no real improvement!?!?

Yes...you are absolutely correct, people interpret colors differently but when Nettie follows up her descriptions about her fowl being the very darkest of red color....it makes you think about her real intent.

Last edited:
Is there a general consensus (or not) that the Exhibition RIR is a little too dark for a Buckeye? Or........... ?

Today's RIRs are too dark (as color relates to the Buckeye)...they are more of a Brown than an actual red. A Buckeye should not be as dark as TODAY'S RIRs....unlike the RIR, the Buckeye has never underwent refinement as it relates to the standard like many of the breeds in the American class. I blame this to the lack of breed interest through the decades.
With that being stated...I also feel that the color is not all that distant from a RIR....the big difference in my mind is the degree of sheen that the Buckeye has in comparison to the RIR. The buckeyes will "pop" in the sunlight were as the RIR is more flat.

Last edited:
Thanks -
big_smile.png
I think that now I have a better idea of what colour is right for a Buckeye- sounds like feather quality is an important part of that colour as well. I'll be able to select better now! Fortunately, at least, my rooster is almost there, he's definitely very shiny and a dark red, no orange in there! So I'll make sure the colour doesn't drift towards lighter shades when I select breeders. I'm really looking forward to seeing his chicks, 11 more days!

Thanks -
big_smile.png
I think that now I have a better idea of what colour is right for a Buckeye- sounds like feather quality is an important part of that colour as well. I'll be able to select better now! Fortunately, at least, my rooster is almost there, he's definitely very shiny and a dark red, no orange in there! So I'll make sure the colour doesn't drift towards lighter shades when I select breeders. I'm really looking forward to seeing his chicks, 11 more days!
Good luck with the hatch! I really hope your hatch rate is far better than mine has this year.

Back
Top Bottom