The Buckeye Thread

Thanks! Still seems like 18% to start is too low. I can't seem to find a non- soy feed that's above 18%. I do supplement with mealworms/ meat/eggs, and the chicks have some limited free range as soon as I can get them outside on nice days in a small pen. Which I suppose lowers the protein some more. Thoughts?

I am new to raising chickens, but do love everything i have read about buckeyes. I have 5 chicks coming in june 4 hens and a rooster. I did buy from hatchery so hope they look good. I was about to ask about the food and protien in it so im glad to see this post from sumi. Thanks so much i cant wait for them to come.
Welcome to the thread, Sherry13! You will love Buckeyes, they are wonderful birds. Which hatchery did you order yours from?

Thanks and credit should go to @Blueface for doing that write-up. It's a very good reference post.

Yes that was very informative. My husband ordered from cackle hatchery. Are they good from there or does anyone know. Also if really like and work out i am ganna try finding breeder close to go get bettter stock.

I do know of one person that said recently they were very happy with their cackle hatchery Buckeyes. If you're looking to show or breed, going to a reputable breeder will be your best route though. Hatchery stock of any breed is not well-bred and seldom very good quality, but with that said, for homestead fowl, they are great. There are a few Buckeye breeders that I know of, that sells limited numbers of chicks and eggs in Spring and started birds later in the year. If you are interested in getting some good quality Buckeyes later on, we can get you in touch with them.

Last edited:
Sumi ok thank you. Yes for us it will be for eggs and meat but I do want a good quality breed. I guess for this year we will see how everything goes and next year try finding some better quality breed. Thank you so much.

From what I've read Cackle has some nice stock, I don't specifically know about their Buckeyes- I suppose it's breed dependent, but Cackle does seem to have a good reputation. You'll probably be very happy with those Buckeyes and it will be a great place to start.

The trick with hatchery chicks it seems is to order a lot of them and cull to the best. Someone posted a trio of white laced red cornish they had selected out of 50 chicks from Murray McMurray, and to me they looked very respectable.

We have used McMurray for some birds that we didn't want to pay breeders price for or nice assortments. Growing up I have seen birds from Meyer's, Strombergs, Mt Healthy and Cackle as well. I have tried Meyer's myself. McMurray's birds have always lasted.

Back
Top Bottom