The Buckeye Thread

Just popping in here. Intrigued with the BE. Looking to add some new blood to my flock, and looks like this would be a good breed to add. Won't be doing breeder stock. Any of you used Cackle, and what is your experience with their bird's temperament???

I have heard that the Cackle stock is pretty decent. I have no experience with that hatchery myself, (Only because they don't ship to Canada) but that's what others have said. As far as temperament goes, me personally, I cull for it. I consider it part of the breed characteristic- any nasty Buckeye is not a Buckeye IMO~ !! So order lots.

So I finally got pics of some pullets. I have some color work to do but I am still really happy with these little chubbies! I absolutely love these playful birds and the roosters are absolutely amazing with people and their girls! Whoever bred these birds sure did a good job culling for docility
wink.png
tongue.png

I have heard that the Cackle stock is pretty decent. I have no experience with that hatchery myself, (Only because they don't ship to Canada) but that's what others have said. As far as temperament goes, me personally, I cull for it. I consider it part of the breed characteristic- any nasty Buckeye is not a Buckeye IMO~ !! So order lots.
Thank you. Knowing that they share gene pool with RIR is the main reason why I've not gotten any before. Not fond of RIR birds that I've met. But, willing to give it a try. Any mean tempered birds will be invited to dinner. Their pea comb will fit into my flock breeding program well.

Just popping in here.  Intrigued with the BE.  Looking to add some new blood to my flock, and looks like this would be a good breed to add.  Won't be doing breeder stock.  Any of you used Cackle, and what is your experience with their bird's temperament???

I've got a Cackle Buckeye. Worked with and sold several dozen from the same batch. Fantastic bird, great temperament and remarkable type considering she's hatchery - she looks very, very similar to my pet-quality-from-breeder stock Buckeye girl. Remarkable difference from the Production Red style birds (all very skinny, pinched tails and maybe 2/3 with single combs) that I've seen from multiple other hatcheries. Seeing Cackle's Buckeyes has basically proven to me they are the best hatchery currently in operation.

Last edited:
I have ordered 16 Buckeye chicks to be delivered in April 2017. I am excited to raise some day old chicks.

I bought my current hens as adults the 3 Orpingtons and my silkies were a month old when I bought them, the are now 6 months old. I feel the Orpingtons are older than the lady had posted in the ad, and the Silkies are my pets. I have one token Easter Egger, the Grandkids love her and her eggs.

I decided to get a heritage breed and have chosen the Buckeye. I ordered 12 hens and 4 roosters. When mature I will pick the best rooster and the other 3 will be dinner.

I am still reading articles where I can on the Buckeye and have read conflicting info as to if they go broody and if they are good mothers? Anyone have experience with them raising their own chicks? Of course my Silkie could be used for this purpose.

Any info or tips will be appreciated. Thanks! :) Merry Christmas Monna

I have ordered 16 Buckeye chicks to be delivered in April 2017. I am excited to raise some day old chicks.

I bought my current hens as adults the 3 Orpingtons and my silkies were a month old when I bought them, the are now 6 months old. I feel the Orpingtons are older than the lady had posted in the ad, and the Silkies are my pets. I have one token Easter Egger, the Grandkids love her and her eggs.

I decided to get a heritage breed and have chosen the Buckeye. I ordered 12 hens and 4 roosters. When mature I will pick the best rooster and the other 3 will be dinner.

I am still reading articles where I can on the Buckeye and have read conflicting info as to if they go broody and if they are good mothers? Anyone have experience with them raising their own chicks? Of course my Silkie could be used for this purpose.

Any info or tips will be appreciated. Thanks! :) Merry Christmas Monna
My Buckeye hens did go broody, many times last summer, but I did not allow them to raise any chicks- although I am pretty sure they would make good mothers. Where are you getting your Buckeyes from?
pop.gif

I ordered them from Meyer Hatchery. I hope they have quality chicks. I have heard that most hatchery chicks are usually lower in quality. I have trouble finding breeders in my area, in the southeastern mountains of WV. I am hoping to have my flock be sustainable so I will defiantly be looking for some to be broody hens. Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays! :)

I ordered them from Meyer Hatchery. I hope they have quality chicks. I have heard that most hatchery chicks are usually lower in quality. I have trouble finding breeders in my area, in the southeastern mountains of WV. I am hoping to have my flock be sustainable so I will defiantly be looking for some to be broody hens. Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays! :)

Even in my own line of them, broodiness can vary. I have never had Buckeyes sustain a broody spell here, but I don't make their accommodations too inviting for that either. I have had people who have gotten them from me and have them brooding for them for half the summer. So, perhaps it does have something to do with environment. If they do get broody on me, I break them and it isn't too difficult.
If you are looking for a hardy and sustainable breed, you won't be disappointed. I love my Buckeyes. Even this week when our temps got down to -25 and the wind was howling, I still had 2 of the 4 older hens start laying again for me after their molting hiatus has been complete. They don't look all hunched up like the other birds do either. I do not heat my coop and it is pretty airy in there. So long as it is dry and they have room they need, they do very well.
I have had hens get up over 8 pounds on no special feeds, which is pretty darn good for a stew hen when they are done laying. The cockerels I butchered this summer at 6 months came in at 4.5-5 pounds dressed out and plenty of meat on them. I don't think you can find a better dual purpose breed for a homestead or sustainable flock.

Back
Top Bottom