The Buckeye Thread

I ordered them from Meyer Hatchery. I hope they have quality chicks. I have heard that most hatchery chicks are usually lower in quality. I have trouble finding breeders in my area, in the southeastern mountains of WV. I am hoping to have my flock be sustainable so I will defiantly be looking for some to be broody hens. Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays! :)

You are doing the right thing by ordering more than you need, and then selecting the best to breed from. My Buckeyes aren't exhibition ones, but they are still very good chickens that perfectly suit my needs- they still have that great Buckeye temperament and hardiness.

This was very helpful thanks! I have a double walled coop but do not heat it. I am glad that they do well in winter and our summers should not be overly hot only a few days up in the 90's most summers but we do have some humidity so if I see any signs of panting I have a small fan I can give them. They had access to outside so they should just seek out the shade. Thanks again for the info. :)

Thanks, I am planning only for homestead purposes not showing, but I definitely want them non-aggressive due to my Grandchildren so if any are aggressive they will be invited to dinner :)

The only aggression I have found with mine is with each other. This year was especially bad with that. I don't know if it was from an outcross I started two years ago, but I have never had them beating each other up like they did this year. It didn't help that I couldn't pasture them as much I wanted because of predation problems. I have never had a Buckeye come at me, ever, and I have raised hundreds of roosters on pasture and in pens both.

Thanks I will be sure to give them plenty of room. I am working on a larger area that used to be a paddock for my horse. I will have a lot of work to make it safer for them from wild animals as well as neighbors dogs that occasionally get loose. Right now I have two large kennels and a coop attached, but will be expanding in the near future. Have a great evening! :)

I live in central Kentucky and am interested in buying buckeye chicks this spring, I don't mind buying from a hatchery but am afraid of not getting pure buckeye chicks. I am not interested in showing them but would like to breed them to further their numbers, but just don't want to breed any and everything, my goal is to have a single breed for egg production first and use culls for meat. I might even sell some later on but is not a priority, I want chickens to be part of our homestead

@monnarush @Flatgrind88 Welcome! You guys will LOVE your Buckeyes! After I got mine they quickly became my favorite birds! I'm sure you guys will love yours too!

@CanadianBuckeye sorry I never got weights from my Bucks year! I know I said I would but our scale broke... Boo.... But I am gonna bring out our new one and try! I am guessing my males around above right pounds and I have no clue about the females. But they are huge... Almost bigger than my three year old Brahmas.

Thanks holm25 , but I don't think they are in the poultry business any more. Bad thing is they are only about 50 miles from me, that would have been nice to get birds that close

Back
Top Bottom