The Buckeye Thread

Hi everyone,

I am new(ish) to the Buckeye breed. Last year only one of our hens was a Buckeye, but I liked her so much that I got a few more pullets. They have FINALLY started to lay. Is it normal for May hatched birds to take until January to lay? Other breeds have started to lay several months earlier for me, so I didn't know if it was the breed, the time of year, or the particular strain from this breeder.

I like the calm temperament of my Buckeyes. They don't run away while I am doing chores (although sometimes that means I trip over them). My little girl loves it though, because it means sometimes she gets to pet them. :)

My Buckeyes all came from the same local breeder. I would like to keep a small sustainable backyard flock... 6-12 hens and 1 or 2 roosters, hatch out some chicks every year or so as replacements. Should I get roosters from a different line, or is it okay to keep these roosters to breed with the hens? How concerned should I be about inbreeding?

That seems to be a very long time for them to get around to laying, eight months...... but as a slower growing heritage breed I don't think that's out of line. As far as getting in a rooster from another breeder- That's a difficult question to answer. If you like the Buckeyes that you have, you might change everything by crossing them with a new line, but there will be some benefits as well. I'd be tempted to stay with the breeder's birds, and try to get a rooster from the breeder that is not a direct brother to the hens, but carries the same bloodlines. Unfortunately If you breed brother to sister for too many generations, you may have genetic problems pop up. Of course, it's always fun to get a new rooster, and try some test breeding to see what you get!

@BlueShadow
I got my first Bucks about the same time you did. They are just now starting to lay. Possibly for 2 weeks but I know for sure this week because I caught one in the act.

That seems to be a very long time for them to get around to laying, eight months...... but as a slower growing heritage breed I don't think that's out of line. As far as getting in a rooster from another breeder- That's a difficult question to answer. If you like the Buckeyes that you have, you might change everything by crossing them with a new line, but there will be some benefits as well. I'd be tempted to stay with the breeder's birds, and try to get a rooster from the breeder that is not a direct brother to the hens, but carries the same bloodlines. Unfortunately If you breed brother to sister for too many generations, you may have genetic problems pop up. Of course, it's always fun to get a new rooster, and try some test breeding to see what you get!

Thanks, this information is helpful. Sounds like I don't need to worry too much about using these roosters and hens together for a few years, and I had only planned to keep the roosters 1-2 years. I have no way to know if they are brothers and sisters, they all were from the same large hatch, so it is possible that some might be related. But I intended to introduce new genetics at some point, good to know I don't need to worry about it nearly as soon as I thought.

Unfortunately I cannot get any more birds from this breeder, as he had to sell off all his birds due to health reasons. That is partially how I ended up with them, I had not intended to get more pullets this past year. And so I got 7, hah!!

Thanks, this information is helpful. Sounds like I don't need to worry too much about using these roosters and hens together for a few years, and I had only planned to keep the roosters 1-2 years. I have no way to know if they are brothers and sisters, they all were from the same large hatch, so it is possible that some might be related. But I intended to introduce new genetics at some point, good to know I don't need to worry about it nearly as soon as I thought.

Unfortunately I cannot get any more birds from this breeder, as he had to sell off all his birds due to health reasons. That is partially how I ended up with them, I had not intended to get more pullets this past year. And so I got 7, hah!!

A breeder can go decades without outcrossing (bringing in a new line) if breeding selection is done properly and you know what to look for in pairings.
You don't want to breed full siblings and you want to avoid breeding half siblings, but mother to son, daughter to father, uncles to nieces, aunts to nephews and so on is good. If you bring in new birds, try to get them from the same gene pool.

Yes, those birds hatched May or later might take until January of February to lay. It also depends on what light you have for them. I would give her a good check over and feel her abdomen well. Make sure she isn't being bullied and that sort of thing. Otherwise, I would think you should see some eggs from her soon. My pullets that hatched a year ago are just coming back to laying, but they were laying late summer and fall until the days got short.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Buckeyes though. They are my favorite breed, durable, friendly, and the best dual purpose I think you can ask for.

I have a BYC friend that got one of my Buckeye cockerels that is hoping to find a new home for him. He is currently residing in the Peru, Indiana area not too far north of Indianapolis. She is re-homing as she had decided not to keep a rooster anymore.

He was one of the chicks I got in early June from Bill Dyke at Hidden Creek Farm.

Here are a couple of photos she sent me. I know they aren't the best to get a really good idea of appearance, but if someone is interested I'm sure they would get you more photos. I have one of the boys from the same hatch here and he has been a good fellow in temperament so far.

PLEASE PM ME IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED AND I WILL CONNECT YOU WITH HER.

I have 2 cockrel and 5 pullet BE's coming from Cackle mid April. Would love to hear what others have thought of Cackle stock. Any pics???? Hoping to keep several of the best BE's to carry on my flock plan. Also looking forward to getting some Doms, and a few other breeds as well. If all goes according to plan, one of the BE roos will be staying to join my avatar roo (Jack the EE).

check out this video about a very fat hen

I've seen that too. (Though his videos are somewhat "excruciating" if you just want to cut to the chase).

Anyhow, I think there is definitely something in the metabolism that is not working up to par on individual birds. The sisters of the one I processed are both laying and behaving very normally.

Back
Top Bottom