The Buckeye Thread

If you think about it, with the number of chickens that are hatched every year, it is amazing how many of them make it with no problems and can produce for a few years. That is a bizarre thing to discover in a bird, but stranger things have happened. I do agree, that video was excrutiating! I had to skip through until I saw where they getting ready to do the hen in.

Here are a couple of photos (poor from the cell) of my cockerel from yesterday. He was hatched early June last year. Open for comments :)

Handsome dude! Looks like a good tail angle, not too low, and looks like he doesn't have the excess cushion problem either! I know that there are some who think Buckeyes are a bit "plain" but when you see a nice rooster like that, well put together and proud, the Buckeye breed can't be beat for handsome.

Quote: @CanadianBuckeye
Thanks for commenting. He seems to be improving with age but, not having had Buckeyes before, was wanting to hear what more experienced folks observe from the photos.

He's kept a good demeanor as well which is encouraging so far. I've had him in his own 12 x 6 area in the barn kennel pens with the girls next door with through-the-fence access only during the the time that they wouldn't go outside due to snow. I think that may have helped him learn "abstinence" during that time and now that he's getting out with the girls during the daytime, he's not an obnoxious breeder. (I was afraid it may have the opposite effect, but I just couldn't leave a hormonal "teenager" with the girls when there really wasn't anywhere for them to get a reprieve. The whole set-up in there is 12 x 16, but I still don't like them to be stuck in such close quarters w/a teenager.)

I've had a breed that wants to mate about every 30 seconds at this age and he's a refreshing change from that. Not sure if it's because he's been separate during the first hormone surge or if it's more of a Buckeye personality thing?

@CanadianBuckeye
Thanks for commenting. He seems to be improving with age but, not having had Buckeyes before, was wanting to hear what more experienced folks observe from the photos.

He's kept a good demeanor as well which is encouraging so far. I've had him in his own 12 x 6 area in the barn kennel pens with the girls next door with through-the-fence access only during the the time that they wouldn't go outside due to snow. I think that may have helped him learn "abstinence" during that time and now that he's getting out with the girls during the daytime, he's not an obnoxious breeder. (I was afraid it may have the opposite effect, but I just couldn't leave a hormonal "teenager" with the girls when there really wasn't anywhere for them to get a reprieve. The whole set-up in there is 12 x 16, but I still don't like them to be stuck in such close quarters w/a teenager.)

I've had a breed that wants to mate about every 30 seconds at this age and he's a refreshing change from that. Not sure if it's because he's been separate during the first hormone surge or if it's more of a Buckeye personality thing?
Your rooster definitely sounds like a keeper! The proof will be in his offspring.

Anyone have success with artificial insemination with your Buckeye?

My original birds have McCary bloodline background. I have two hens and a cock left in my flock. The cock had an injury to two toes on one foot that required amputation and while finally healed, I'm not sure he can mount the hens.

Back
Top Bottom