The Buckeye Thread

Anyone have success with artificial insemination with your Buckeye?

My original birds have McCary bloodline background. I have two hens and a cock left in my flock. The cock had an injury to two toes on one foot that required amputation and while finally healed, I'm not sure he can mount the hens.

Hey NK! I am sure it could easily be done like most breeds! Do you have experience with AIing poultry? Lots of good videos to learn from on YouTube!

Anyone have success with artificial insemination with your Buckeye?

My original birds have McCary bloodline background. I have two hens and a cock left in my flock. The cock had an injury to two toes on one foot that required amputation and while finally healed, I'm not sure he can mount the hens.

Hey NK! I am sure it could easily be done like most breeds! Do you have experience with AIing poultry? Lots of good videos to learn from on YouTube!

Thank you! Yes, I have some experience, thanks to the coaching of an old timer. I was taught to use either a stiff feather or a tongue depressor.

Thank you! Yes, I have some experience, thanks to the coaching of an old timer. I was taught to use either a stiff feather or a tongue depressor.
yuckyuck.gif
Don't ask me why but this rings my 'funny' bell.
lau.gif

Some pics. Dont mind the ratty tail. My dang Guineas are rough on everybodys tails. Will post more when I can take more.

I like my Buckeyes but they are frustrating me when I try to tell who is laying. I usually look at combs and wattles to give me an idea of who is laying, but that's a lot more tricky (impossible?) with Buckeyes. Can anyone give me tips on identifying which birds are laying?

They will still have a red comb and wattles compared to the others. However, you can feel the spread of the pelvic bones to see if one is more open and flexible than the others.

I guess a few do seem to have a bit more pale combs than the rest, but I would consider all of them red.

I have felt pelvic bones before, just used the width. Do they really get "flexible" in good layers? I am picturing that when I palpate the pelvic bones, I can feel them stretching a little bit further apart. Is that how it works? I have never noticed that before, maybe I need more practice.

Back
Top Bottom