The Buckeye Thread

Just hatched a few Buckeye chicks!

There is more color variation than I expected. Some are quite a bit darker than others. Is that normal, or did I perhaps hatch an egg from one of my Barnevelder hens by mistake?

Also, some have dark spots on their head. Is that a variation of color, or is it a clue to gender?
Darker is actually better, so long as it is reddish buff. Ideally, you don't want to see that little dark spot on their head or chipmunk stripes on them. That would be an indicator of too much black showing as they mature. Lighter chicks aren't really desireable either, they tend to feather out lighter as well. I don't think the color looks too bad with yours though. Give them time to show you what they got.

Darker is actually better, so long as it is reddish buff. Ideally, you don't want to see that little dark spot on their head or chipmunk stripes on them. That would be an indicator of too much black showing as they mature. Lighter chicks aren't really desireable either, they tend to feather out lighter as well. I don't think the color looks too bad with yours though. Give them time to show you what they got.

I don't see any chipmunk stripes on the Buckeyes. A few have darker spots on their heads. Several of them do seem to be lighter, a more golden color. I am excited to see how they look as they grow!

They aren't going to challenge the Leghorns but will give most 'dual purpose birds' a hard run for the money! I think they are especially good layers for such a large breed.

Turk is correct, however, it depends on the line and how they were selected each generation. Some people may concentrate more on egg laying where others concentrate on color or size. The best is to keep the laying acceptable and work in the other traits, in my opinion.

I have one buckeye chick, starting to see some pretty red feathers coming in. If it turns out to be a rooster, it will be Brudus Buckeye, like the Ohio state mascot. Right now it's Juniper......but we'll see.

Is this hen starting to molt? This is her first year laying, hatched last May, didn't start laying until January. Isn't it early to start molting?

I am trying to thin my flock just a little, get rid of the least productive hens. This hen is top of the list. Trouble is, its not for egg production - I know she is currently laying about 3 eggs per week. (But she looks like she is starting to molt? Don't they stop laying when they molt?) She and 3 friends got put into the chicken tractor because I was having a terrible time getting rid of poultry lice in my flock. These were the birds who still had lice or reddened skin after 4 (4!!!!!) treatments. And she also is my top suspect for egg eating (one egg eaten so far, 4 eggs pecked, but she seems to only go after her own eggs.).

Lots of reasons to get rid of her, but she is still laying eggs. I was wondering if she has any other redeeming qualities?

IMG_1778.JPG

I don't see where she is truly molting. Is it possible she is losing feathers for some other reason? She appears to be very healthy. Might I suggest bathing those who still have lice and using a dog flea dip rinse on them? You will need to toss eggs for a few days after doing that, but it works pretty well. Check them over again a few days later to see if the newly hatched lice are setting in. They may need a couple of baths.
Egg eaters can be broken too though. Have you tried doing anything for that? Wooden or ceramic eggs in the nest, empty an egg and refill with mustard? Roll-away nestboxes?
Of course, it is always your call on what you will and won't put up with in your flock. Good luck!

@Minniechickmama

I am THRILLED to report that I examined all of my chickens yesterday and I found no lice on any birds. A few did have reddened skin beneath their fluffy butt feathers, but I figure lots of things can cause that and skin takes a little while to heal. It's been two weeks since I last treated for lice, fingers crossed that I get the same results in another two weeks! I thought about bathing them, but honestly, it just sounded like SOOO much work I didn't do it.

If you don't think she is molting, I will wait and see what happens. She could be losing feathers for being picked on, she is in time-out with 3 other hens (well as of today, 2 other hens) in a chicken tractor. I think it has 40 square feet (not counting loft) so 4 hens was a bit crowded in there. She definitely is still laying eggs, she laid one just today. It was pecked at one end (she seems to only peck at her own eggs, but that may simply be a matter of convenience - her eggs are around when she is around). I did put a ceramic egg in the nesting area and it has helped. Ever since I did that, she has only pecked and cracked the eggs, but hasn't completely broken and eaten any. I wish I would have known the mustard trick when I found the first one! I would totally have done that. She had pecked a hole in one end and eaten all the egg, leaving behind a nearly perfect eggshell with a dime-size hole. It would have been perfect to return to her next day, with a surprise inside!

I have now scored my hens twice using the guidelines from The Call of the Hen as you recommended. Reading the book makes so much sense. In practice, on my birds... not so much. I have one hen with wide, thin, and flexible pelvic bones, and then yellow shanks & face. Or narrow, fat pelvic bones and white shanks & face. Or wide pelvic bones, but fat. Etc.
:barnie

Back
Top Bottom