The Buckeye Thread

20180505_115850.jpg 20180507_183643.jpg these 3 hatched last week. I put 19 in the bator on Sunday, so hopefully I'll have more in a few weeks.

I have four Buckeyes that I special ordered that are now about 2 1/2 months old. They were supposed to be pullets, but I'm wondering about one. I've heard Buckeyes in particular are difficult to tell apart, male and female, as they are slower growing and comb color doesn't necessarily pertain in them. I have one that appears to have slightly more pointed feathers around the shoulders, and the tail is a bit "ruffled" looking. No redder in the comb at this point, though. Ideas?

Oh, also, this one particular chick runs up to me first. Much more bold. I don't want to say aggressive, but just more chutzpah than the others.

I have four Buckeyes that I special ordered that are now about 2 1/2 months old. They were supposed to be pullets, but I'm wondering about one. I've heard Buckeyes in particular are difficult to tell apart, male and female, as they are slower growing and comb color doesn't necessarily pertain in them. I have one that appears to have slightly more pointed feathers around the shoulders, and the tail is a bit "ruffled" looking. No redder in the comb at this point, though. Ideas?

Oh, also, this one particular chick runs up to me first. Much more bold. I don't want to say aggressive, but just more chutzpah than the others.

Without a picture, I can't say for sure. It does sound like it might be a roo. When you look at them, does that one always look different to you? I can say that I wasn't too sure on my birds, I went back and forth on some for awhile. By 12-14 weeks, I was pretty confident.

Without a picture, I can't say for sure. It does sound like it might be a roo. When you look at them, does that one always look different to you? I can say that I wasn't too sure on my birds, I went back and forth on some for awhile. By 12-14 weeks, I was pretty confident.

Yeah, my camera battery died, so I don't have a pic. I go back and forth, too, as they are only about 10 weeks. But, yes, now that you mention it, I always pick the one out because of his behavior, and also just because he has more black mixed in the neck feathers. I actually just picked him up and examined the tail feathers. I saw a YouTube referenced on here that showed examining the tail feathers. If they are rounded and even, it's a pullet. More pointed and uneven (mine even has little frizzy 'tails' on the end of the tail feathers) then it's a roo. I can't wait to see. I hope his temperament is good, because I don't pen my birds. They just free range around my fenced acre. If he's gentle (are yours?) then I may keep him and try breeding them. Have to wait & see!!!

Yeah, my camera battery died, so I don't have a pic. I go back and forth, too, as they are only about 10 weeks. But, yes, now that you mention it, I always pick the one out because of his behavior, and also just because he has more black mixed in the neck feathers. I actually just picked him up and examined the tail feathers. I saw a YouTube referenced on here that showed examining the tail feathers. If they are rounded and even, it's a pullet. More pointed and uneven (mine even has little frizzy 'tails' on the end of the tail feathers) then it's a roo. I can't wait to see. I hope his temperament is good, because I don't pen my birds. They just free range around my fenced acre. If he's gentle (are yours?) then I may keep him and try breeding them. Have to wait & see!!!

Temperament varies a lot with different lines of Buckeyes. They definitely tend to be docile, but it varies based on handling and genetics. My roosters tend to be a bit aggressive, but they are all unfortunately descended from a relatively aggressive rooster. My last one was raised to be respectful of me, and never gave me any trouble. However, he had to challenge anyone new the first time he saw them. That didn't go over well with my toddlers (they were terrified of him, and the reason he ended up in the cooking pot). Definitely was NOT a wise move the first time he challenged our dog - what on earth might he have been thinking? After that, he beat it out of the coop any time the dog came in with me.

As far as color, black neck feathers is suggestive of a male. Again though, this will depend somewhat on lineage. My hens all have a couple black feathers, but they are randomly scattered over the body, and not too many of them.

Temperament varies a lot with different lines of Buckeyes. They definitely tend to be docile, but it varies based on handling and genetics. My roosters tend to be a bit aggressive, but they are all unfortunately descended from a relatively aggressive rooster. My last one was raised to be respectful of me, and never gave me any trouble. However, he had to challenge anyone new the first time he saw them. That didn't go over well with my toddlers (they were terrified of him, and the reason he ended up in the cooking pot). Definitely was NOT a wise move the first time he challenged our dog - what on earth might he have been thinking? After that, he beat it out of the coop any time the dog came in with me.

As far as color, black neck feathers is suggestive of a male. Again though, this will depend somewhat on lineage. My hens all have a couple black feathers, but they are randomly scattered over the body, and not too many of them.

Thanks so much for the info! I have one more question, if I can pick your brain about Buckeyes... I was looking at one of the Buckeye clubs, and they have a breed standard. They said NO white feathers. Do white tips of feathers on these young pullets mean they are disqualified or of bad breeding? Maybe it's just because the feathers are still growing in? Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom