The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Many people are surprised to learn that it's a rabbit's best interest to have him neutered or her spayed. But it's as true for a rabbit as it is for a dog or cat.
Depending on his/her genetic makeup, a rabbit will reach sexual maturity somewhere between the age of 3 to 8 months. Once the sex hormones start flowing, expect to see behavioral changes. Some may be cute: a sexy rabbit may circling your legs, honking a little love song, be very needy and cuddly and follow you around incessantly. Other puberty-related behaviors are not so cute: a honking, singing bunny circling your legs who finishes the symphony with a flourish of urine spray and then sits there looking up at you for approval of this sign of unconditional love. And some hormone-related phenomena are simply dangerous to your bunny: unspayed, unbred female rabbits have a very high risk of uterine cancer.

Although not all rabbits exhibit objectionable behaviors upon reaching sexual maturity, many (if not most) do. One can expect to see the following behaviors once those sex hormones kick in:

• loss of previously good litterbox habits
  • spraying urine (a sign of love, but still...)
  • mounting/humping of objects such as toys or your unsuspecting head
  • growling and boxing
  • territorial biting/nipping
  • aggressive/possessive lunging and biting
  • circling and honking
  • destructive chewing and digging (especially in females)
Add digging faster than any road works can do? :confused:

Chaco is a she, and I only feed her the best oats and alfalfa! But I call her, and say, “hay Chaco, I have some apples for you “! (She loves apples and carrots):DView attachment 2846301
KiKi, I never thought that I would buy a horse, but I fell in love! She’s beautiful. I also bought the property and barn she lives in. Not too far away from my home! 😁

I got a question, and it’s a long shot. Is it possible to litter train an 8 year old rabbit? I get the feeling Sophie needs more interaction, so I am thinking about bringing her inside sometime.

Jared
Yes, rabbits tend to pick one potty spot. Figure out where her spot is and give her a litter box. It sometimes helps to hang the hay feeder above the box because bunnies tend to eat and poop at the same time. She may leave poop on the ground here and there to say "this is my territory" and all it takes to win that battle is sweeping them up and putting the poop in the box. If there's more than one bun the pooping may last for longer periods while they figure things out.

300183DF-17D8-43BA-9413-12F5B3D1F0AA.jpeg

Sophie made a friend tonight. It’s that special bond between mammal and amphibian.

Back
Top Bottom