The business end of a skunk...

Camelot Farms

Chickenista
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
VA,TN,NC Tri-State area
got my dog tonight.

I think I am going to a hotel. Before we could contain the big beast she had rubbed her foaming mouth on the carpet and the sofa. I'll be going into debt and calling the Stanley Steamer folks tomorrow.
And buying several gallons of tomato juice for more doggie bathing.

In the meantime... *gag*

Ok, a word of warning. Tomato juice will not get rid of the smell. It will tone it down, but not get rid of it. The ONLY thing that worked for my dog, who made a habit of CATCHING them, was Skunk-B-Gone at the vet's office. Not too pricey, but hell, if it gets rid of the stench I will buy a lifetime supply.

My sister in law swears that vinegar will fix it. I am not sure if it works but hers are forever getting into it. She washes them in vinegar water and then has a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix in it that she mists them with until the smell is all gone.

Think i can skunk-b-gone my carpet and couch?
smile.png

I think I will try that and mist her with vinegar...which I happen to like the smell of. lol

Bless her heart she is wore out and sick. Bet she drank a gallon of water trying to get it out of mouth.

Someone said mouthwash on her coat too.

She has a super thick double coat.
sad.png

What works for me when my dogs get into one (which for trixie is about three times a year) is...

Step One: rub down dry dog with lysol cleaning agent. Let sit for ten minutes.

Step Two: Rinse cleaning agent off dog. Was in 1/4 clothes detergent, 1/4 vinegar, 1/4 dawn dish soap, and 1/4 water.
Step Three: Rinse and repeat.

May seam like a lot of mess... But it has worked on my dogs for years. I need to look into that skunk be gone stuff... Might be easier...

I killed a skunk once, in the winter. Big mistake. When they die, the last thing they do is wreak revenge.... so to speak (sorry for the pun). The upstairs neighbor and his toddler son, came outside, wincing and frowning. The neighbors down the street were coming out of their houses and looking around, while sniffing the air. I waved, nodded and grimaced. Oh, it was terrible. The skunk squirted out a yellow puddle of liquid, whose smell hit me in the face, like a bag of freshly minced garlic. It burned my skin and my nose and it did not even get on me.

While the neighbors were lighting their torches and sharpening the pitchforks (presumably, while they waited for the tar and feathers to get ready), I took a couple of deep breaths (the last for a while) and grabbed a shovel.

I buried the skunk in the frozen garden soil, as deep as I could dig, as fast as I could. I covered it with about 6 inches of soil and that got rid of the smell really well!!! Not deep but time was of the essence (again, sorry).

Well, 4 months go by. Spring is in the air and I pull my truck into the parking area, behind the house I was renting. I am assaulted by a very familiar smell. My eyes begin to water.

There are skunk parts all... over... the... yard.

The landlord is standing in the garden wearing coveralls (thank God).

He is standing behind a rototiller. I exit the truck and enter an invisible fog of an unimaginable stench.

He is frowning deeply. He asks "Did you know there was a skunk buried in the garden?"

Me, sheepishly, "Yeah. I buried it there."

"Well you buried it none too deep!!!"

I had forgotten about it until that moment.

He said detergent got the oil off and vinegar got out the smell pretty good. He threw the hat away. There was no saving that. The garden smelled like skunk for the rest of the time I lived there. It was ground in? (Sorry some more)

Hydrogen pyroxide and baking soda with some dawn mixed in is supposed to really work good. Don't think you would want to put that on your couch or carpet though.

Back
Top Bottom