1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**the Buttercup Thread**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DawnStar, Jun 27, 2016.

1. DawnStar

DawnStar New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Arizona
    Here's the thread for all things Buttercup!
    Some quick history::

Buttercups are a rare heritage breed originally imported from the Mediterranean on cargo ships exporting oranges and other goods to the US. The first buttercups were kept aboard ships to supply the sailors with meat on their journey home from the island of Sicily. But some time around 1820 one ships captain fell in love with the friendly hens and kept them for their bountiful eggs instead.

Once they reached port, the chickens were spared from being eaten, and instead sold under the name "Flower Chickens." These first buttercups went extinct in the US, most probably due to the fact that at that time people were more focused on utility, and didn't care much for owning a rare/ exotic looking breed.

It wasn't until 1925 that more buttercups were imported to the US from England that the breed finally gained a foothold. And it was about this time that the buttercup went extinct on the island of its origin. Life in the "New World" wasn't much better for the buttercup, though the breed was 'perfected' and highly valued as an egg layer, it was soon replaced by another mediterranean breed: the white leg horn-- who was a layer of crisp white eggs (white eggs in the early 1900s were deemed more healthy), and being an all white bird had a 'prettier' carcass as well.

Just 40 years after being imported in 1960, the Buttercup had already dwindled down to just a handful of birds. In danger of complete extinction, a small group of people stepped up to preserve the breed and found the official breed club: The American Buttercup Club. It was at this time that the bantam breed was also developed, in an effort to expand and promote the Buttercup Breed.

Today the buttercup is still considered rare, and under constant threat of extinction. More breeders are needed to keep pure bred flocks that meet the breed standard that identifies/ characterizes this breed from all the others inorder to presserve Buttercups for future generations. Without a growing gene pool of animals that fit the full description of the breed, these birds will ultimately disappear altogether

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting bit of history! Buttercups are by far one of my favorite breeds to have around for their unique looks and energetic personalities. I'm not a breeder, let alone someone who looks for SOP-type birds, but I sure do love my Cookie! I look forward to associating with fellow Buttercup-lovers like myself. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by