The calcium punch doesn't seem to be working - what do I do next?

I don't have any suggestions, I'm afraid.
It sounds like something in her reproductive system just isn't working right.
It might just fix itself at some point, or it might get worse or cause other problems.
I did have a hen with exactly the same problem, and after she went broody and had a break from egg laying, her eggs have been back to normal every since.

I don't have any suggestions, I'm afraid.
It sounds like something in her reproductive system just isn't working right.
It might just fix itself at some point, or it might get worse or cause other problems.
I did have a hen with exactly the same problem, and after she went broody and had a break from egg laying, her eggs have been back to normal every since.
Ok, I was afraid of that....do I keep on with the calcium anyways or is it possible I could give her too much if it's not going to work?

Is it possible that a lack of other vitamins or minerals are the culprit? It sounds like you have tried plenty of Calcium, you might try something with Vit D3/K/E/and vit A in it, the fat soluble vitamins are all needed for optimal egg production. I like a product from Southland Organics called Catalyst, which is a once weekly poultry vitamin supplement added to the water. Just a thought, good luck with your hen!

Is it possible that a lack of other vitamins or minerals are the culprit? It sounds like you have tried plenty of Calcium, you might try something with Vit D3/K/E/and vit A in it, the fat soluble vitamins are all needed for optimal egg production. I like a product from Southland Organics called Catalyst, which is a once weekly poultry vitamin supplement added to the water. Just a thought, good luck with your hen!
Thank you for the suggestion! Is this something that is okay for all the ladies to drink?

Update - I just looked it up and answered my question :) Yes, it's okay for all. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi! Still having the same ole' problem. It's been 3-4 months and my one lady is still laying 95% broken eggs. Sometimes in the nest box and other times on the poop board. When it is not broken (which is almost never) the shell is white (should be light tan) and can puncture it with lightly pressing fingernail. I did have one week where I got 3 awesome eggs about 3 or so weeks ago, that was when I started letting them free range for the 1st time for about an hour a day with me watching them. I thought, wow, she just needs vitamin D, green grass and worms....but that was VERY short lived. What does this even mean? I guess she has a broken shell gland. Will we just have a lifetime of me having to clean up eggs almost daily and try to catch them before the other ladies eat the broken eggs? It makes leaving for the weekend, or even a night, very difficult because I'm always worried about a broken egg getting nasty laying around where they can eat it, or get bacteria or bugs etc.....I'm desperate...I do not want years of this and I'm sure she doesn't either.....

Back
Top Bottom