The Canada geese are back!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Mar 13, 2012.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Its been a long winter, but very mild here in Manitoba, Canada. Just a couple days ago I saw my first Canada goose flying overhead. I now have a couple hanging around. They are the first migrating bird I have seen so far. Spring is here! They like to be around and within sight of my flock. I did raise a Canada goose from a new hatch a couple years ago, maybe she has come back to visit. Maybe they lived somewhere that people fed them. I will feed them too no problem.

I let my flock out today, they were freaked out at first but now seem to be happy. I just need to teach them the routine again where I round them up daily back into their pen. I didn't feed them yet today and will use that as part of the routine. Even last year I found if I fed them prior to me letting them out they would misbehave and not want to get in the pen.

I am a bird watcher and enjoy watching the spring/summer birds arrival. Robins, Meadowlarks, Goldfinch, Hummingbirds even Grackles..I go through a bird feeder of food a day. I just find it so interesting and relaxing watching them.

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

The Canada geese were honking overhead when I went out on the deck tonight and I saw a few robins on my dogwalk. The deer come and raid my squirrel proof feeder so I don't know what to do about that. I love to see the white pelicans migrate but I rarely see them and they don't make a sound even when flying low overhead so they are easy to miss I think.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I also love to watch birds. Isn't it so amazing what you see. :love

4. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I look forward to seeing Robins, those are a sure sign of spring here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by