The chick and hen and pet dynamics

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
My 2 hens are broody and sitting on 11 eggs between them.

The previous clutch I took 8 eggs to incubate in hopes of getting 2 chicks (one for each of my daughters)

problem is, only one egg has hatched (still only on day 20) but for some reason I am having no hope for the remaining eggs.

I don't want this chick to be lonely, and I don't want to put it under the hen because this is my daughter's chick.

I was thinking if none of the remaining eggs hatch, can I steal a chick from the hen to put with this chick (pet for my other daughter)

This is what I want to do but just wanted to hear any thoughts. In the end the two chicks will have their own space in the coop and will free range with my other birds once they are old enough.

tia

oohhh just had an idea.

These eggs are due to hatch tomorrow, like i said I have a bad feeling...and if they don't hatch by Friday...I can grab an egg or two from the broody (she has 11) and throw in the incubator...hmmmm except I don't know EXACTLY what day they are on...I do know that the Hen started sitting on June 21 or 22. So that should be close enough to guess for lockdown.

sigh

Back
Top Bottom