The chickens are shaken and so am I

Pics

Jenessa_096

Crowing
Jul 14, 2021
Molalla, Oregon
Well it finally happened, after two years of owning chickens we got our first predator attack. I was sitting at home eating when I heard my flock squabbling, I look outside and see a hawk sitting on the fence I ran outside and find everybody screaming and running around. At first I didn’t know what to do but when I tried to find all my chickens I could only find about half of them. I started looking but couldn’t seem to find them anywhere especially my rooster vanilla. It seems The hawk had been going for my five month old Easter Eggers. None of them seem to be hurt except for some bleeding on their beaks. I found my silkies behind a garden bed smooshed so far I thought one of them was dead. I was debating whether to go with my mom to my grandmas house this morning and I’m glad I stayed home. My mom doesn’t usually lock up the chickens when she leaves because we’ve never had a predator attack and she didn’t really believe that one would happen. I’m definitely glad that she saw that we have hawks and predators around this area. Everybody is OK and accounted for they’re sitting in the chicken coop together still wondering what has happened. My rooster vanilla was being very caring he wouldn’t settle down until he could see that all of the chickens were inside the coop. So there it is my first predator attack.

Sadly, with predators it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when'. The bleeding on their beaks may have happened if they flew into the wire of their pen. Bottom lint - the hawk will return. Good luck.
Thanks, i’m just worried about my neighbors chickens he has four bantams and never locks them, he’s gone from home all day. When this happened his chickens also hid and he’s not home. I hope all of his hens are ok.

Here’s a photo I managed to take of the hawk, it all happened very quick.

Attachments

• F71A2928-6A37-4864-8CCB-802AA15696F2.png
    F71A2928-6A37-4864-8CCB-802AA15696F2.png
    883.3 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom