The Chickens are TAKING OVER

Keladry of Bundelan

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
NY
Hey all! I'm in way over my head I'm sure, but I have chickens so I wanted to join this forum to speak with like-minded chicken herders.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Well, these are my first chickens that are specifically mine, but when I was about 10-12, I think, we had chickens. It was an adventure. I got chickens because of the pandemic, because my brain said "WHAT IF THE STORES RUN OUT OF EGGS," though I've wanted chickens for years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
20. 10 boys and 10 girls.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Cinnamon Queens (10; 5 boys and 5 girls) and Black Sex-links (10; 5 boys and 5 girls). I ended up with an even 50/50 split with the sexes.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Chicken football. We give them a scrap of food and then watch them go crazy over the scrap. We're not mean though, we give them enough scraps so they can all eat. They just like fixating on one scrap at a time.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
So many.
Most are crafting-related, though. Sewing, knitting, spinning (badly), needle-felting, macrame (also badly), embroidering, woodworking, carving, sculpting, painting, etc... I also write and read a lot, which means that I have a lot of random trivia.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I currently live at home with a very crowded household. 3 younger siblings, 2 parents, a grandmother living downstairs (it's her house, it's a complicated and stressful tale I don't feel like expanding upon), and one rabbit who is Queen of the World (as far as she's concerned, anyway). I'm currently unemployed, and due to the living situation and the pandemic, unlikely to change that any time soon.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
My mother has an account on BYC and I read over her shoulder, and looked at articles, and decided to join so I could post about my insane adventures with chickens.

I think that's all that's really relevant, though obviously if anyone has any questions say so, because I sure have a lot of questions.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The insanity is going to get a lot worse if you don't rehome nine of those boys!

Well, believe it or not, 80% of the aggressive behavior comes from the five Cinnamon Queen girls. They're the bosses, as far as they're concerned. But, once the boys are older (probably late August-late September), 8-9 of the boys will be processed. Right now we're only planning on keeping one, but if one ends up being good and getting along with the first rooster, we'll let a second one stay longer. But they're definitely not all staying.

Back
Top Bottom