The China Study, Anybody Read it?

Quote:
Actually it is one of the better things. More and more studies keep backing that up. I just don't like the unnecessary induction phase.

I know.. thats the hardest part for me too..
But its the only diet that i can really lose on..

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually it is one of the better things. More and more studies keep backing that up. I just don't like the unnecessary induction phase.

I know.. thats the hardest part for me too..
But its the only diet that i can really loose on..

There is so much mis-information about the Atkins diet. Many people think you gorge on meat and fat and do not eat any carbohydrate on the diet. On the contrary, here are the recommendations as far as vegetable requirements go on the diet: Eat no more than 20 grams a day of Net Carbs, 12 to 15 grams of them as foundation vegetables. This means you can eat approximately six loosely packed cups of salad and two cups of cooked vegetables per day. Remember, carb counts of various vegetables vary, so be sure to check them.

Now I don't know about everybody, but I find it a bit of work to get this amount of vegetables into my daily diet. I like veggies, but I do have to actually eat more of them than I did before I went back to a low carb lifestyle. As for protein, the guidelines specify 4 to 6 ounces of meat, chicken, fish or other protein source at each meal (tall men can eat up to 8 ounces per meal). We are not talking that much food when you consider it (well, except for all those veggies). Therefore, the Atkins diet followed within guidelines, does limit the individual's caloric intake.

After the first two weeks, the system gradually has the individual begin to raise the amount of carbohydrate consumed per day, by increasing the amount and the type of vegetables eaten. if the person stops losing weight, the carbohydrate level at that point in time is his maintenance level and this is the level at which he needs to stay in order to maintain a healthy weight for life.

The atkins diet that i did never had an calorie restriction.. i pigged out..
gig.gif

I think you do go through a binge period when you switch your body over to a low carb diet. When I first started I was still losing weight on 3000 calories + a day! LOL
Once you get your insulin and blood sugar under control, that mega eating tapers off. There is actual science behind that. A lot of the processed foods eaten on a typical diet rob your body of vitamins and minerals. A high carb diet increases the need for vitamin C for one. Your body is actually recharging itself on real nutrition once you stop eating the stuff that makes you fat and sick in the first place.

Redhen, you might want to get yourself a copy of Natural Health and Weightloss by Dr. Barry Groves. All the low carb goodness without making yourself nuts trying to keep below 20g of carbs for 2 weeks. You just keep the carbs under 50g/day while you are trying to lose and you can go up a little if your body tolerates it once you hit goal. Being 47 and hormonally deranged, I stay under 50g
big_smile.png

As for veggies, I eat more now as a low carber than I ever did as a vegetarian. My vegetarian friend hardly ever eats vegetables so I guess it wasn't just me
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I love the way you put that and believe our number one weight problem stems from lack of exercise and physical activity. I've known a few of those Italian grandmothers and when I was in Europe I was amazed by the diets and the slender builds of many of the people I met.

Quote:
I also agree with WZ's statement here. What we eat is as important as how much we eat, at least for some people. I have found that small quantities of carbs put my body into a cycle where I just cannot take of ANY weight. Once I eliminate those carbs and my body has a chance to "balance" itself then weightloss will begin again.

In my own case I went from 170 pounds to 225 pounds when I turned 30, got an office job, quit smoking, and ate WAY TOO MUCH. Now, almost 40, my body holds a steady 192 to 195 pounds with a good balanced diet and at least 4 good workouts a week. With the added muscle I can binge and eat an entire pizza and not gain a pound. Even being stuck in bed for almost a month after a recent motorcycle accident I only gained 4 pounds which came off in days.

My challenge now is eating the foods that will nourish me the most, harm me the least, and still fill me up.

This is a good thread.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh what a quaint picture of Europe you paint! I love it.
smile.png

Don't forget the Greeks who work off the fat smashing plates, the Swiss who yodel all day and the Scandinavians who climb mountains to look for a ray of sunshine.
smile.png

Obesity is a big problem in Europe. I think that people there eat even more fatty foods now and some may own cars in which they ride around rather than on bicycles. Oh, forgot, the Dutch still like bikes and most of those that I know aren't fat.

I admit.. I'm fat cause i dont excercise.. at all.
hmm.png

Then the bacon and fried mozz doesnt help much either..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom