The consequence of complacency. Half my flock gone.

If I may add... a hot wire run around the pen about 4-6" high will deter most ground predators such as racoons, fox and possums. I plug mine in EVERY night.

So sorry for your losses.

Boy, I can relate and sympathize! We have lost six 3-month-old pullets in the past two nights! I hadn't really counted them, as they were all scattered around the large pen during the day, but this morning, I found a leg, then two wings, and then I began to count. It stinks, but it happens. We really buttoned up the coop tonight!

My survivors, 2 roos and 4 pullets had been roosting in the high rafters of the barn. Tonight , however, I found 1 Roo back in the chicken house and the older roo frantically trying to roost on a window ledge of our house, He then relocated to the top of a 10 ft tree. I rescued him and put him in the chicken house with his son. The 4 pullets are in the barn. Makes me think the roosters saw something in there last night. I'm worried for the pullets tonight but I can't reach them to move them to the coop. If they make it through the night I will catch them early and secure them in the chicken house.
fl.gif

Our predator was a fox, who had no issue taking off with my 10 lb buff orpington and shimmying under our electric fence. they are predator proof at night in the coop and run, but free-range during the day.

The best thing about chickens is watching them scratch around the yard during the day. I'll miss that if we decide to keep them in the chicken yard full time.

Back
Top Bottom