the coop is just a hide out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stargazingmommy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    They don't sleep in the coop. They have an attached secure run. 2 sleep in the door of the coop, one facing in the other out. The 3rd sleeeps on the ground in front of the cop under the other two.
    They have a nice basket to nest in and it's been used, not for laying as none lay yet.
    They do go in the coop in the afternoon when its hot, or when startled.
    Is this normal? Do I need to start locking them in there? I'm not worried about predators, just weird behavior.
    the ducks refuse to stay in their pen and I can't figure out how they get out. They sleep right next to the chicken run as close to the chicks as they can get. Do they miss being together as the sucks lives with the chickens for several weeks even sharing the coop. Do I need to connect the duck pen and chicken runs and give them free reign of both the yards?
    Or do I just need to ignore their quirks and let them be?

Its not been overly hot oor cold at night. High 50s low 60s.

2. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    Racoons are very crafty and might get to them if they sleep outside. If you go out, after dark, and put them on the roost inside, they should get the idea after a couple of nights. I have chased off a bobcat, a bear, and coyote, recently, and was glad that my girls were locked up when each predator was out (early dawn).

3. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Do you have a perch inside the coop that is higher than their nest/basket? If not, I'd suggest you put one in. Then after dark place each of them onto the perch and close the door until morning. After 2 or 3 nights they should do it on their own.

4. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:We live in a big city. Worst we have is squirrel catsand dogs (our cats and dogs). The dogs won't even let birds in the yard..

5. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:Yup the perches. Are higher than the nest. I will have to try this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by