The coop now has electric!!!

Mycookoonest

Songster
11 Years
May 29, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
clap.gif
I am so excited! My DH and my neighbor just finished the electric to the coop yesterday. Just in time for it to get darker earlier and get colder!

They ran a 70 ft underground line from our garage to the coop and gave me a light switch for the flood lights in the garage. DH is going to change the lights to motion sensor. THey coop also has 4 outlets (way up high) and a light inside. I'm so excited!!!!

It took 2 days of continuous work... but because our neighbor is a master electrician he did everything right and didn't want to take shortcuts. He also gave us 2 outlets in the garage too.

Cost to us... 1 case of Bud!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOO!
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

That was a deal to get the job done right..lol,,electric is a blessing in a coop...You can have water heaters and see what you are doing on those dark nights getting into the pen late at night if you have to..

Charlie

Me too! Me too!!! My DH and dad just hooked up all the electric and my DH just installed a sink with a hot water heater and everything! He even built a closed in area with a door around the sink, so my chickens and all couldn't get in there and poop and lay eggs, since that was what they started to do.
smile.png
I have shelving and everything in there for all my supplies.
smile.png
It's wondeful! He's now working on pens for outside, since they free range ALL over the place, including my front porch and back deck...there's nothing like a big 'ole fresh pile of chicken or turkey poo waiting for you in the morning. :mad: lol I can't wait for it to be finished...and go figure, he's a IT guy!
wink.png

I got some evil eyes last night... The birds were thinking as they were sitting on the roosts half asleep (and I just know they were thinking it) "GOOD GOD... she doesn't have a flashlight now, she has a light AND a flood light!!!!!!! WIERD CHICKEN LADY! "

I think we'll go to Gander Mountain and get him something along the lines of hunting gear for helping! Although DH helped put his pool up this summer... LOL!

Hopefully I can rig up some sort of timer for a light in there for in the morning so maybe I can get eggs out of them this year.

NOPE... I didn't even think of that... but with an electrician doing it, and the house hasn't been inspected in 22 years I'm not worried. As far as I'm concerned it was always wired just we upgraded...
big_smile.png

Ditto ~~ hubby just finished running electric to our new coop too! The motion sensor is a given ... no more wandering in the dark to find the door. Timers are inexpensive ~ we have one hooked up and an additional light if needed. Two outlets for the water heater and electric charger (we use electrified poultry netting to control freeranging).

Still have to install our 'security yard' ... then all done till next season!
cool.png

Next year, we're planning either an additional coop or to expand this one ... depends on our customer egg base, etc.

Back
Top Bottom