The coop's FINISHED and they are finally going outside ! ! ! ! ! ! !

BillT

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Sweetwater, TN
When we first finished the coop, we could not get them to go outside.
hit.gif
They would sit in the pop door and stare out all day.
hide.gif

We finally put them out and that night we had to gather them all up and carry them back inside. We now have a light on a timer to come on before dark and go off about 15 minutes after the pop door closes. this works great.!
ya.gif

Lots of pics on our page and a video of the Morning Rush Hour for the Chicks
wee.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=54259

Last edited:
Yeah...a light is a great training tool for getting chickens inside at night. Eventually you won't even need the light...
smile.png

Your set-up looks great, and your chicks look very happy. However, I could not find a video.

Cute set up. I love the light, bright walls inside and out and the run is so nice and big. I want a small deck like that on the front of my shed but haven't gotten that far yet. Love the door and your vents at the top of your shed.
clap.gif

By the end of the year you will wonder what happened to it all though! They will eat down all the grass, fly over the fence and the roos you have will fight each other and breed the girls too much. The fun is only beginning.
The dust bath is a good idea right now but they will make a bunch of new ones all over the yard and under the shed. And the poop trays are wonderful right now but as they grow the poo will start clinging to the wire and it will be a bear to clean. And if someone accidentally lays a soft egg while on the roost it will be pretty gross on the wire.
These are just things I learned from my first experience with the chickens and shed. I don't mean to be a downer but wanted to give you my experiences before yours got too far along.

I didn't find the video either.

Quote:
Try it again. I tried to embed the video and it worked on my computer, now I have the youtube link. Sorry bout that
hu.gif

I was able to get the video. That is unusual because I am usually the one that things do not work for.
Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons? They get big. We have the Orps and the next batch was going to be BR's, now I know how well they look together!
Be careful of Hawks you might want some netting or wires over the top.
I love the roost. It is very clever with the wire.
We MUST build an automatic door. That worked so well. But,our hens are not quite so polite on their exiting as yours.
Built by Billt. I like that.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom