The Cost of Processing

cabincrazyone

Songster
9 Years
Dec 26, 2010
NE Minnesota
I'm wondering if paying for chicken processing is worth it to not have the disposal problem related to doing it myself in the city. Can anyone give me a idea of what it costs?

Quote:
I have to agree. A small timer with no place to put the waste ... it sounds worth it to me.
I live in Minnesota. There are plenty of wild game processors around ... is that the right place to go?

Last edited:
probably not they usually charge quite a bit. check with your feed store and look on their bulliten boards.
call a 4-h leader, or don't you have amish in your area?

Last edited:
Around here the price varies with the amount of chickens to be processed. In a residential area it is sometimes better to get them butchered elseware.

We have a place nearby that does it for $2 a bird. Being a city slicker myself, I am thinking it's a wise investment. It's also USDA inspected or something like that. I think friends and family will feel more comfortable with that. They are already weirding out about me even raising the birds... Mom actually said she would prefer 'anonymous birds'. sigh The neighbors and co-worlers however, are lining up in droves.

Last edited:
This morning we paid 1.75 per bird for 13 roos at a local Amish farm set up for bird processing. The load before us is due at the Farmer's Market this weekend. The bad news is that the gentleman is moving to Missouri this spring, so we will need to find a new processor ( as will the Farmer from the Farmer's Market!)
Southeastern PA here. We traveled about 40 minutes to Lancaster area for the processing.

Back
Top Bottom