The dang coon strikes again...and again!!!!

This is why I built a coop for my quail and put the cage inside. I have plenty of room for brooders also - and they are protected from coon attackes. The smaller the wire only means they start pulling off pieces of your birds. Been there done that too. Oh and the nice rat snake that came in 1/2 X 1 inch sire and couldn't get out after his meal was a blast too.
roll.png

Traps at TSC will work. I have a rather small one and it has trapped many many animals. The 22 makes them easier to take out of the cage! LOL

make shure you get a large trap they sell one with doors on both ends they are junk. not shure on the measurements but if it looks to big for a coon its the right one. possums will go into anything but coons are not that dumb...... oh and if ya dont own a gun just fill a barrel with water and toss the trap in coon and all that makes them easy to get out too....

do i want one with doors on both ends or not?

where should i place the trap? near the quail pens? What do i use for bait?

Quote:
use leftover carcasses for bait.... if you already disposed of anything not pulled through the wire, some moist cat food. I use the traps from TSC that have 1 door and the far end has the doodad that the coon steps on. It will work for all but the largest or trap savvy coons.

PM me if you ever run into that situation, there is a great secret formula that some people are really picky about.

left over carcassess...LOL they took everything...only a few feather left on the ground.

sending you a PM

one door model looks about the size for a beagle to go in or an austalian shepherd.prolly in the 50$ range i may have paid a lil more than that i cant remeber. also catfood and marshmellows are the best combo for coons smoked sardines for opossums...like i said the bigger the trap the more coons you will catch the old coons are the hardest to catch you wont catch them untill you have caught all the kids first and always try moving the trap around it doesnt take them long to figure out not to go into it if it stays in the same spot....

I've caught a coon in one of those large cages and the darn thing nearly destroyed it! A wildlife expert told me to use the small traps so that the animal can't thrash around in it. coons are strong.

Just caught a big one in a small cage and introduced him to the .22 . I put the cage in it's own little cave so that the animal can't go around it but can only go in it. That is working well for groundhogs too.
whatever works.... my motto
big_smile.png
good luck

well mine has caught well over 100 coons and yes they try to tear it up but so far it has held up fine. my first trap was the smallest havahart with a coon on the box it was too small i only caught opossums in it once i moved up bigger i really started catching coons...

Quote:
I think that's because people generally think of coons as little cute fuzzy size of a cat critters. A lot of people don't realize that they can get up to 40 lbs and can take on a medium to large breed dog
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom