The dang coon strikes again...and again!!!!

Quote:
I think that's because people generally think of coons as little cute fuzzy size of a cat critters. A lot of people don't realize that they can get up to 40 lbs and can take on a medium to large breed dog
sad.png

the last one i caught weight 35lbs dead weight!!!! He was a big boy! LOL!

I prefer the smaller traps also. Haven't had any issues catching those big coons in them.

Another good bait is an egg with a small whole in the top. Actually a few eggs. I usually put small cut pieces of plywood around the cage except for the openning. That way they feel like they are going into a hole and not able to get the bait from the outside.

The best long term answer is a fortress for your birds. Until it is one, I wouldn't leave them out there (or more will be dead) or I'd guard them 24/7!
JJ

I'm just now putting chicks outside and trying to coon-proof. I'm sure they can go thru chicken wire and flimsy cages, but can someone tell me just how far they will go to destroy chicken housing?
I'm using 1/2" hardware cloth over stronger structures all inside of the barn which I close up at night. I don't know if there are any more coons near by.
There are high windows which I have not covered yet - they would have to climb the wall of the barn.
Just how aggressively will they pursue the chickens? Do they harm the adult birds too? Will they attack in the middle of the day when the chickens are active?

If the live trap does not work for some reason, lock up the pets one night and put a small dish with some golden malarin fly bait and a half a can of soda..........you will find the dead coon within 15 feet of the pan. But becareful, this concoction is not predjudice and will kill everything. Set it out at night, set the alarm and pick it up early when it is still dark so birds dont drink it. As for bait for the live trap, you can use anythign from watermelon, strawberries, marshmellos, dry/wet catfood and so on. Make sure to stake the live trap to the ground, coons will flip and roll it, ive seen it personally.

Goodluck and kill that nuicense animal.

We have a tomahawk trap. It has worked well so far. We have had it not even 2 weeks. We have gotten 4 coons and 2 possums. Could of gotten more but we don't put it out every night. Husband gets tired of burying them. Good luck hope you get em.

Quote:
i am not so shure that fly bait kills that quick every time. the guy up the road used some by his sweet corn last year and i found three dead coons down on my end of the timber and saw one cross the road and when i stopped to look at it it appeared drunk.i just figured it was his poison but i guess they could have been sick.....

I have a little cocktail for them tonight so we will see what I find tomorrow.

I moved the quail back up to the deck for the time being. My realized today that my ginger hen is injured...one of her wings is broken...I am sure from an attempt at being grabbed. She is by herself now to heal.

Back
Top Bottom