The dark egg candle question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suess hens, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I know what to look for on the white egg. And on my EE eggs I can get a general idea but nothing specific. What am I going to look for on/in my dark shelled brown eggs? Or am I just looking for fun and excitement?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    i just got my first 3 dark eggs and i wondered the same thing. I candeled them the first day to see what i see and have that for comparison. At 7 days i candled and thought i could see one with a very slight dark spot. At 2 weeks i was able to still see nothing in 2 eggs, but the 3rd i could see what getting darker inside. So i never could see the veining, but once the chick began to grow in the one that was good, i could clearly see the difference. Good Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    You are of course looking for the exact same things as with any other egg, But it is a little harder to see through a darker egg. The key I think is to have a good seal on your candler and a powerful light and dark room, just make sure your light is not too close to the egg and don't leave it there long enough to get hot, that could cook & kill the embryo.

AL

4. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    if you get a really bright flashlight, like the LED kind. you can see right in. look for shadows. And veins.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

With my Marans eggs it's hard to see much other than the air cell until the second week and by then you can usually tell whether it's getting darker with the growing chick. I very rarely toss one of them because it's so hard to see.

6. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I have a mini maglight that is the bright LED type. Will this work?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe, but maglights often don't have the real lumen output you need. If you can see though your hand with the light, it is probably good enough, if not, might want to look for something brighter. Projector, or my favorite, specality flashlights, like the surfire LED 6p's or eagle tac's.

[​IMG]

8. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    give it a try . My dad is a cop so i can kind of cheat, his flashlight is 1000 candle power..

9. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Thank you, I will now go see if I can see through my hand. I have the old school "cop" maglight I know I can see through my hand on that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by