The DIRE truth. Chicken Processing facilities, are you aware? I need someone to share my feelings an

tbourdon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Please, fellow chicken people, hear me out and don't blow me off as a "crazy PETA person". I love animals, I eat them too. I love a good steak/chicken/ribs. I know the awful things that go on for food industry animals.... but never knew as much as I found out last night. I am an owner of 4 chickens. 3 hens live in the back yard with their own coop. I also have one bantam Faverolles that lives in the house as the family pet. She sits in our lap, lays in front of the fireplace, gets here own plate at dinner, goes on family vacations, sleeps on our nightstand. Her name is Beep, but we call her Beep Time because it's ALWAYS BEEP TIME :) So with the ridiculous amount of smarts this little girl shows, I decided to google chicken intelligence. This is how it happened. I stumbled on a video which I thought was about chicken intelligence, unfortunately it was about why chickens shouldn't be slaughtered in such a manor BECAUSE of their intelligence. I've seen the most horrific videos from big time farms such as Tyson etc. I've been sobbing all day. I can't remember the last time I've cried this long this hard. After seeing what happens when they "miss the throat cutter". Or hearing the workers laugh about "breaking it's back" when the chicken fought too much. How beaks are cut off,,, etc.. :'''( One thing lead to another and I was watching cow/pigs/chickens and eventually ended up seeing the lives of geese for down feathers. Almost just as sick and sad. I'm just not sure, how to be part of this world. I am ashamed to be part of a world so sick . Many people argue that the birds are raised to be food... all of the farm animals to be food. But abuse is a different story entirely. And What I found out today was that birds are excluded from the Humane Slaughter Act. I could type for hours, but to be honest my eyes are burning from crying so much. I know Local farmers will say it's not like that everywhere and that their farms aren't like this. Some will say the video has been manipulated to look the worst. But after many counts of the same treatment I don't think this can be argued, and I do not think that anyone person is exempt from watching the video. If you eat meat from a grocery store, I think the animals deserve AT THE VERY LEAST the respect to have their story known. How they got to your table. I am guilty!!! I have a down blanket and eat meat and drink lattes (milk) and breakfast at restaurants (eggs/bacon) I feel like everyone needs to see these videos. The reality. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's view of meat, or... anything like that... Awareness is all. Please, make yourself aware of what is happening. How can we fight this? Everybody hug your chickens tonight <3

I hope the mods don't mind, but I'm gonna post here.

I feel you. I saw the exact same stuff. I cried and cried; I fwlt like petitioning against it, and I feel like I am letting the poor birds down. It just makes you hate the people who do these things. I'm so sorry for you. It's horrid to see these things, isn't it?

I won't watch the video, as I already know what people do.
hit.gif
I love animals, ALL animals. But, I do agree with you, everyone needs to see exactly what people do to these poor innocent lives. I've often thought of becoming vegetarian, not vegan, as I do eat eggs, my sweet girls eggs. I hear it is so much healthier for us as well. Just knowing about the video, makes me cry.

Although I know that it is against the BYC forum rules to post form animal rights groups, but I don't think that is your purpose, as you said in your post. I have thought about my inconsistent attitudes toward animals, and it is a difficult issue. I think that is why so few people have posted. It is not that people do not have some awareness of the conditions of chickens in the meat industry, but it is a tough subject to think about. I have read about the chickens from the meat industry and seen some videos, and I can't bring myself to watch the link that you posted right now.

I agree that it makes no sense that poultry are not protected under the Humane Slaughter Act like cows and pigs are. I learned about that when I read a book entitled "Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat" by Hal Herzog, which is an antrozoological approach to, as he say, "Why its so hard to think straight about animals." Can you tell that I intellectualize to deal with emotional issues?

I think I will give my chickens some treats and a little hug now.

Thank you all for your responses. It makes me feel a little better that there ARE good people and that I'm not alone. I guess I didn't realize that this post was against the rules..? I was in such a hurry and need for an emotional outreach, I had no where else to go. :(

Back
Top Bottom