The dog got into the coop and I have 1 injured chicken. What do I do???

capns

Hatching
Jan 20, 2024
Hi everyone. I'm currently watching another family's dog and their chickens while they're away on vacation. This morning when I was changing the water for the chickens, the family's dog slipped in and bit one of them on the neck (with her head in his mouth). I managed to pry open his mouth and shoo him away, but now this poor girl has a partial puncture wound on one side of her neck. I've cleaned up the blood and dirt as best I could for the time being, and I have a friend coming with chlorohex solution in a few hours so I can disinfect it. She moves her head when I stimulate her and I don't feel any broken bones, nor does she react badly when I palpate her neck. She also flaps her wings and stands when I test her movements, but has been mostly sitting and not trying to walk. When she sits, she rarely keeps her head up, preferring to have it down or lean it on the water bowl. She hasn't pooped or eaten since the incident. I've given her some water manually and have kept her in a box in a separate room with more water. I haven't been able to reach the owner and all vet offices near me are closed for the weekend. I'm worried because she has so little energy and I don't know if it is due to shock or possible internal injuries. I feel awful about this. Should I leave her usual food with her or grind it up somehow? Is there anything else I can do for her?

20240120_115302.jpg

20240120_115333.jpg

Treat for shock. One cup of warm water with one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. It's not enough to disinfect the superficial layer of injured tissue. When an injury involves a puncture wound, an antibiotic is necessary to combat bacteria that was injected by the teeth puncturing the outer tissue.

Amoxicillin is the best one for this purpose, but you need to start it immediately. You may be able to find it at a feed store under the label "Fish Mox" or "Aqua Mox". Dosage is 250mg orally twice a day for ten days.

Treat for shock. One cup of warm water with one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. It's not enough to disinfect the superficial layer of injured tissue. When an injury involves a puncture wound, an antibiotic is necessary to combat bacteria that was injected by the teeth puncturing the outer tissue.

Amoxicillin is the best one for this purpose, but you need to start it immediately. You may be able to find it at a feed store under the label "Fish Mox" or "Aqua Mox". Dosage is 250mg orally twice a day for ten days.
Is the mixture for her to drink? How long should I give that to her?

Back
Top Bottom