The DONKEY/MULE CLUB!!!!!!!!

We have a donkey (of course we are not very original and call her "Jenny-Sue"):

We also have two riding mules, "Rudy", (the smaller one):

and "Freida" (or Frieda) (the larger one -- she rules over everything on the farm):

The donkey is specially bonded with the cows (Dexters), here with our bull, "Cosmo," but all get along:

Last edited:

My two mini babies. :)

When I drive up to home from work each evening, my donkey greets me with a big, loud bray. If I step outside at night, I know where she is because she lets me know with her bray. She is dark brown, almost black so I cannot see her in the dark -- last night she gave me those short bursts of hee-haws.

The brays always gets the attention of visitors. I had a Jack before I got my Jenny and he could shake the ground and rattle the barns with his bray -- an exaggeration but he never failed to disappoint.

Betsy (my mini mule) has been at the local fair for the last week, so it's been kinda quiet around here.
roll.png
There are two donkeys there this year; an elderly standard jenny and a spotted mini jack. The jack sounds off regularly. Betsy has a mule bray, of course, but she's like, "oh, boy! Somebody who speaks my language!"

Okay, I have a question regarding Donkey's as guard animals.

We have dairy goats and they are currently in a rotational pen-system. But we have several acres not getting used, and we plan to wrap the permiter with goat/field fencing (currently is 5-strand barb). The goats will have way more than they can eat, and there is plenty of grass/forage to add a donkey. So my question is this:

Is a donkey the staple recommendation as a guard animal for goats? If so, which is better, a gelding or a jenny?

We bought two Mammoth geldings to guard our two goats. Overkill for the coyotes, no issue there. Unfortunately, the donkeys could care less about coons and chickens and what coons like to do with chickens. :(

We are getting a donkey as a companion to our horse, but hope she will be a good predator defense too! She is a sweetheart!

Back
Top Bottom