The Dorking Breeders thread

They look young. Where did you get them? I see a nice rounded breast, but the tails are probably going to be too high.
Do you have a Standard of Perfection from the APA? You are going to need one in order to know what you should be looking for, when breeding and selecting.
I got them from Travis at roundaboutfarm.org, I think he has some pretty good stock. Both pullet pictures are the same girl. She is the only one with her tail feathers curving up like that, I wasn't sure if that was bad or not, because the other two girls tails aren't that way. They were last years hatch. I just ordered the SOP, so I don't have it yet. Travis, very nice man who sold them to me, gave me a group he thought would compliment each other. One girl is really low and round, but not as good color, the third has really nice color but a little taller. This one is the youngest female, and has those up turning tail feathers.

Thanks for commenting! So her tail set will be too high for the standard?

It does look like her tail is a bit high and flared. But it is rare to find a bird that meets the SOP, so we all start with the birds we get and try to improve them as we go along. Having the SOP will help you make important breeding decisions. Hope you end up loving the breed. Welcome to Dorkings.

If you can get some additional pictures of each bird, at their level, from multiple angles (each side, front, back, and above), when they're standing normally, they can be more thoroughly evaluated.

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any comments on how my Silver Greys look? I'm planning on putting these two and two other hens into a breeding pen soon! SO excited! The cockerel was cold and sleepy in this picture, but it's the best one I could get of him. ANd the one pullet, I'm not sure if here tail is shaped correctly?

Is her tail supposed to turn up like this?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
bow.gif
I would like to learn more about this breed.

Hmmm...they do not present as being in top health. That male looks like he's carrying a parasite load, and if he is, you can probably be sure the female is, too..

Hi, just hatched yesterday, Saturday, 4 red Dorking chicks, 1 male, 3 female. Not sure if the male will make it. His toes don't spread out, and he's unable to stand upright. He rocks back on his hocks and is easily knocked over.

I gave him some electrolyte water and some liver water. He'll drink and wants to go, just can't seem to get the legs working. I tried putting him in my bra so I could get some stuff done. He wasn't having any of that, so I stuck him under the brooder panel. He's currently asleep.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi, just hatched yesterday, Saturday, 4 red Dorking chicks, 1 male, 3 female. Not sure if the male will make it. His toes don't spread out, and he's unable to stand upright. He rocks back on his hocks and is easily knocked over.

I gave him some electrolyte water and some liver water. He'll drink and wants to go, just can't seem to get the legs working. I tried putting him in my bra so I could get some stuff done. He wasn't having any of that, so I stuck him under the brooder panel. He's currently asleep.

Are his toes fused together, or can they be separated out into a normal position? If they can be splayed out properly, do you think he would be able to function, or is there something else wrong with his legs? If it's just his toes and they can be separated, you can gently splay them out and splint them into a normal position.

This thread has some pictures that might be helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/72885/boot-for-curled-toes-on-3-month-old-chicken-update-w-pics

Depending on what's wrong with his feet, it might be something that can correct quickly. Fingers crossed.

I just went thru this exact thing. Wound up culling it on day 4 because its legs were twisted, even though I had hobbled it. It had enlarged hocks, and could only sit back on its hocks. Legs extremely weak. I added vitamins w/o iron to their water and also gave PolyVisol infant vitamins w/o iron by mouth.

Possible causes so far:
Riboflavin deficiency
Vitamin D defiency
Maybe incorrect incubation
Maybe using some eggs that were near frozen before incubation
Etc.

I should have sent it to the state poultry lab, and will if it happens again. It's painful to watch a chick struggle like this.

I wish you a better outcome. Would you please let me know what happens? PM would be fine, or tag me pls if you respond on the list.

Last edited:
I just went thru this exact thing. Wound up culling it on day 4 because its legs were twisted, even though I had hobbled it. It had enlarged hocks, and could only sit back on its hocks. Legs extremely weak. I added vitamins w/o iron to their water and also gave PolyVisol infant vitamins w/o iron by mouth.

Possible causes so far:
Riboflavin deficiency
Vitamin D defiency
Maybe incorrect incubation
Maybe using some eggs that were near frozen before incubation
Etc.

I should have sent it to the state poultry lab, and will if it happens again. It's painful to watch a chick struggle like this.

I wish you a better outcome. Would you please let me know what happens? PM would be fine, or tag me pls if you respond on the list.

Hi. Gave the chick dissolved vitamin B complex last night along with some egg yolk liquid. This morning he was out trying to get around, so I felt hopeful. He does seem to fall over onto his side easily, and i keep thinking i know what this is, I've read about it, but i can't find the correct description! His toes are better, though, so the vitamin water must have done the trick.

I'm thinking of moving the larger of this hatch into the brooder with my week old chicks and leaving the little Dorker in with maybe just a few of the smaller day olds. It's hard to know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom