The Dragon Bird { Green Peafowls

Resolution and Frank and Dani,
I have problem: Are both pavo imperator imperator and pavo imperator siamensis really alike in colours and pattens ??? I worried about my illustration of pavo imperator imperator will be mistaken for pavo imperator siamensis or other races.

Illustrations:
p.imperator siamensis
p.imperator tonkinensis

Coming illustration:
pavo imperator imperator

Yet to be illustrated

p. imperator cattiensis
p. imperator xishuangbannaensis

I do not know whether p.i. xishuangbannaensis and p.i. cattiensis are alike to other each or diffenent in colours and pattens and to p.i.imperator.

Also I have question: Are pavo muticus muticus and pavo muticus malacensi alike or diffenent in colours and pattens ???

Can you please help ???

Last edited:
no. imperator has a crest like muticus and is an electric green colour not the dark green of siamensis. In low-light, it is a bluer bird than siamensis. Facial skin is more yellow than orange. It has less barring and more iridescence on the wings.

There are few photographs of females to do a good drawing I think mine wasn't good, here's just the male coloured;

Nominate%252520Imperator%252520Male.jpg

(Basically I took my siamensis plate and recoloured it and replaced the crest with that of Muticus Muticus
tongue.png

Muticus muticus and Malacense are rather different. Malacensi looks very similar to nominate imperator but the backplate is a rosy colour. The neck is a bit "duller" when compared to nominate muticus.

Malacense:
greenpea2.jpg

Wolfgang Stock (possibly nominate, but likely composite between muticus and annamensis races):
4125093097_56e7a6702d_z.jpg

Here's an usual captive specimen in Thailand:
Siamvip-Com-17-7-2553-23-20-40-%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2.jpg

I believe it's either a malacense or a form of annamensis.

This is something I am uncertain of since Resolution labelled it as Malay muticus but it's almost certainly the "spicifer" at Jurong Bird Park.
malay_muticus.jpg

Last edited:
Races of imperator peafowls: colours

medium
Head neck Backplate primaries wing coverts scarpulars green parts of trains

P.i.imperator bluish yellowish yellowish pale yellowish purplish blue yellowish
green green green orange blue green

p.i.siamensis greenish yellowish yellowish pale yellowish purplish bluish yellowish
blue green green orange blue green green

p.i.yunnanensis ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

p.i.tonkenensis blue green yellowish pale orangish blue & blue & yellowish
green pink green green green

p.i.cattiensis ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Last edited:
also xishuangbannaensis is NOT an imperator it is a subspecies of Annamensis.

The imperator form found in Yunnan is imperator yunnanensis. Few pictures exist but it looks more like spicifer in some ways.

think of imperator's neck as a neon green and the backplate as bluish green, but rosy like muticus muticus. The train can appear purple.

siamensis' head is not greenish-blue unless looked from the the side in certain lighting. In general it is green. the neck is a forest green colour.

Frank,
Rosy means pink, and I replaced xishuangbannaensis, with yunnanensis.

Last edited:
Yunnan_Kunming.jpg

From this one picture.

Crown - green
Neck - Olive-green, scaly look like spicifer
Facial skin: White loral axe with orange-yellow warstripe.
Backplate is green.
Train appears rather brownish.

Cattiensis:
namcattien.jpg
80b969388b96d353cb57bdb933c96894.jpg
3341005519_14091feace_o.jpg

Cong1.jpg
images511922_Trang_5__Cong_va_hac_.jpg

497px-GreenPeafowl1.JPG

20060211103138.jpg

The crown appears bluer from the sides and a little more demarcation compared to other imperator. Very similar to siamensis but with more prominent barring at the back of the wing (in some angles the barring is not as visible but the wings are brownish like siamensis, not as brown in nominate imperator).

Quote:
xishuangbannaensis is a subspecies of the Annamensis peafowl. yunnanensis. is either a form of imperator or its own species.

Also- I've learned that Fritz appreciates all the hits on his website as he knows how difficult it is to drum up support from an apathetic public. I do hope that everyone reading this thread will personally write to Fritz and ask him what he's doing to conserve green peafowl in the wild as well as in captivity. His video tapes of wild green peafowl taken in the wild forests of Java and Thailand are the perfect present for peacock enthusiasts.
He's let me know he's not thrilled with anyone using his photographs without asking permission. Let's make a real effort to reorganize this thread -take note where it wanders about listlessly- remove photos that do not contribute to the topic of the thread and rewrite text so that it is more comprehensive.

Please remove Fritz's photographs if you have not specifically asked permission to use them.

Back
Top Bottom