The drama is never ending..,,

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Vickers58, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    Has anyone ever had issues with two hens trying to mate??

I had just finished securing an area to isolate an overly feisty mallard drake when I heard a strange sound in the run. My two female runners were in the pool and one was mounting her sister. She was holding the others head underwater so I separated them. As soon as I turned my back they were back in the pool and at it again!

Anyone?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Girls just wanna have fun.

I have seen my ducks do this, I watched closely at first and it appears no one held anyone's head down for more than maybe 15 seconds, no one looked distressed, it is that time of year.

I know some of us write about this being a dominant thing, but from watching my twelve girlies, I do think they enjoy themselves. I suppose I cannot speak for every flock.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Here, it is only our young gals who attempt this. I have never seen our more wise ladies participate, so it may be a pecking order thing or a "monkey see, monkey do" thing. I am sure after mating season subsides they will outgrow it. Mating season is wicked! I hope we can get spring weather soon, so I can separate our breeds. We plan to hatch some of the breeds.

Anyway, I think they are fine. If they seem to really harass a specific duck, then maybe intervene otherwise they should be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by