The Duck Thread

We are SE of Austin, Texas.  We have huge rat snakes and rattlers.  There's not a week that goes by that we do not see a rattler.  Unfortunatley, the rat snakes seldom are seen but we've had 5+ footers.  They are all I can attribute our missing duck eggs to.  I sure hope you find yours all huddled somewhere safe:fl

The lady that helps my in laws says she saw a really long /thick black garden snake. I really thought she was exaggerating but I really don't know

I'm so sad. I got 9 chickies and 6 ducklings just yesterday, they were soo cute and i started naming them. I had a new run built and the coop fixed up and this morning they were all gone.

I looked all over the coop. There is no holes, no sign of break in, no feathers, nothing. I just don't know what could have gotten in or how, i'm so sad im trying not to cry, I can't figure this out. We have mesh wire instead of chicken wire cause it's sturdier. I just can't think of what could possibly be breaking in or how

I'm so sorry for your loss. Do you think they might be huddled together (somewhere else on your property right now?
Thank you for the ovation and I know how heartsick you must feel. I'm very sad for you:(

The lady that helps my in laws says she saw a really long /thick black garden snake. I really thought she was exaggerating but I really don't know

@Blue Godz I honestly don't think a huge rat snake could eat 9 chicks and 6 ducklings but I could be wrong, I asked my dh if he thought one could and he said he didn't think one could eat that many either.We have them here that get 6' they will eat a duck egg and go off and digest it. This has to be something that came with young or was large enough to kill and eat your babies right on the spot, but go to the Predators/Prey thread and ask what they think it is, lots of knowledgeable members on there.

It's so heartbreaking not knowing what happened.

Two rat snakes?? Maybe? I saw two come out together from our duck pen once. I am in the process of putting hard ware cloth EVERYWHERE:)

Even my friend's 7 foot boa constrictor only eats 2 rats. Fluffy is bigger around than my arm. No way even 15 just hatched would fit.

Ok, so maybe not snakes then
smile.png
Fluffy is the boa?

@Blue Godz
    I honestly don't think a huge rat snake could eat 9 chicks and 6 ducklings  but I could be wrong, I asked my dh if he thought one could and he said he didn't think one could eat that many either.We have them here that get 6' they will eat a duck egg and go off and digest it. This has to be something that came with young or was large enough to kill and eat your babies right on the spot, but go to the Predators/Prey thread and ask what they think it is, lots of knowledgeable members on there.

It's so heartbreaking not knowing what happened.

I'll find that thread. Thanks for the tip

Back
Top Bottom