The Duck Thread

JadeComputerGal, I never really "met" you, but I hope everything goes well for you on your break! Take care :)

Question: Has anyone here tried fermented feed for their ducks? We just got 550 lbs of fermenting barley for the chickens and DH gave a little to the ducks so they wouldn't feel left out. They turned their noses up at it. Lol! Muddy, poopy, what's-on-that food is great, but fermented feed is clearly out!
@Amiga don't you do fermented?

My handsome khaki Campbell drake is having an issue today. I was in the yard this morning and he can't really walk he takes a couple steps and then thuds his chest to the ground. I have looked him all over his legs look great no wounds everything looks great, his legs don't seem broken. His webbing looks great. His chest and underbelly look great as well.
I have him inside in the tub now (as you see in the photo) so I can get a better look at him and maybe rest his leg if that's what he needs. He seems happy and eating and drinking. Any thoughts I am at a loss?

I need help. I'm new to having ducks. I have two and I don't even know their breed. But that's not the issue. One of my ducks is displaying possibly neurological issues. Two nights ago I went to check on the flock,as they sleep with the chickens in the coop,and one of them was acting drunk. I mean literally drunk! Couldn't walk or stand without stumbling,and rolling its neck/head around as if he couldn't control it. I was clueless and just prayed! I did a full body check and no wounds. No blood. Nothing to indicate injury. In the morning,he was fine! Like nothing was wrong. Then,last night I go to do a check. He's in the coop,laying completely on his tummy,neck completely stretched out,head down. I picked him up and again checked him all over. I stayed with him for about an hour. Petting him and talking to him. Praying while wondering if I needed to put him down. His breathing was slow,and sounded congested. Mucous drooling from his bill. He couldn't stand or keep his neck/head up. His pupils were dilating like crazy. I put him back with his buddy. Thinking he'd be gone by morning and if not,I'd need to take care of it. As I'm not into any animal suffering. Then,I let them out today and he's fine again!!! Acting completely like himself. What is going on? Obviously I cannot see what's going on inside. It's happened only at night. Could it be seizures? Is he retarded? I'm so lost. How do I help my friend? Any and all suggestions welcome. As well as prayers for Elijah. Moses is his buddy. (I'll try to send pics. I don't even know if they're male). Thank you and God bless.
1f64f.png
1f607.png

My handsome khaki Campbell drake is having an issue today. I was in the yard this morning and he can't really walk he takes a couple steps and then thuds his chest to the ground. I have looked him all over his legs look great no wounds everything looks great, his legs don't seem broken. His webbing looks great. His chest and underbelly look great as well.
I have him inside in the tub now (as you see in the photo) so I can get a better look at him and maybe rest his leg if that's what he needs. He seems happy and eating and drinking. Any thoughts I am at a loss?

He mighta just sprained it a bit... give him lots of water time to help him rest it and check it for improvement...

I need help. I'm new to having ducks. I have two and I don't even know their breed. But that's not the issue. One of my ducks is displaying possibly neurological issues. Two nights ago I went to check on the flock,as they sleep with the chickens in the coop,and one of them was acting drunk. I mean literally drunk! Couldn't walk or stand without stumbling,and rolling its neck/head around as if he couldn't control it. I was clueless and just prayed! I did a full body check and no wounds. No blood. Nothing to indicate injury. In the morning,he was fine! Like nothing was wrong. Then,last night I go to do a check. He's in the coop,laying completely on his tummy,neck completely stretched out,head down. I picked him up and again checked him all over. I stayed with him for about an hour. Petting him and talking to him. Praying while wondering if I needed to put him down. His breathing was slow,and sounded congested. Mucous drooling from his bill. He couldn't stand or keep his neck/head up. His pupils were dilating like crazy. I put him back with his buddy. Thinking he'd be gone by morning and if not,I'd need to take care of it. As I'm not into any animal suffering. Then,I let them out today and he's fine again!!! Acting completely like himself. What is going on? Obviously I cannot see what's going on inside. It's happened only at night. Could it be seizures? Is he retarded? I'm so lost. How do I help my friend? Any and all suggestions welcome. As well as prayers for Elijah. Moses is his buddy. (I'll try to send pics. I don't even know if they're male). Thank you and God bless.
1f64f.png
1f607.png

If it's only happening in the evening after they go in the coop, I would be checking the coop for anything harmful he might be eating... molds, fungi, etc...
Could be seizures, but really sounds more environmental... separate him tonight instead of letting him go in with the others... bring him inside if possible and see if it happens when he isn't closed up in the coop...

He mighta just sprained it a bit... give him lots of water time to help him rest it and check it for improvement...

1f64f.png
1f607.png

If it's only happening in the evening after they go in the coop, I would be checking the coop for anything harmful he might be eating... molds, fungi, etc...
Could be seizures, but really sounds more environmental... separate him tonight instead of letting him go in with the others... bring him inside if possible and see if it happens when he isn't closed up in the coop...

Thank you for the speedy response! Ok I'll check on that. I'm good at keeping the coop clean. As I've learned ducks are very messy! But I'll definitely do a scour of it just to be safe. I don't really have anywhere to put him. And he has to be with his buddy. I'll work on having an extra place for this kinda thing. Again thanks.

Back
Top Bottom